cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

How long is a reasonable time to be without internet

I agreed to change over to full fibre 900 & not had my new fibre broadband since 4pm Wednesday 7th December. BT promised to send a new router that would be delivered in 48 hours, nothing came i rang BT again and was told it would be delivered Monday 12th December but to date still nothing.

At the time of installation the engineer shared that full fibre wasn't activated and i would continue to receive my standard broadband until a signal was sent to my equipment to activate full fibre.

I work from home and cannot do my work so have to book time off work that i would have naturally booked over the Christmas period to spend with my family
Been advised today that i will receive a new router Wednesday 14th December, 7 days after i should have been connected.
Im not confidant that i will ever get connected.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: How long is a reasonable time to be without internet

And why do BT keep closing complaints when the issue still isnt resolved
Message 3 of 16

Delivery by royal mail could be a problem due to strikes  - 9, 11,14,15

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 16

Perhaps you can clarify the issue , if you are ‘changing over’ to a 900Mb full fibre service, suggests you have or had a different type of service ( possibly ADSL or FTTC , or with a non Openreach based ISP ) who was this previous service with , was it  BT ?.

Not every customer upgrading to full fibre with BT will need a new hub ( router ) presumably you do need a SH2 because ( if BT were your provider ) you didn’t already have one with your previous broadband , they are sent out by ‘mail’ , the time of year ( Christmas) and the current individual action could have a baring on the delivery time.

Was the rest of FTTP successfully installed, ONT with a steady PON light lit etc. , if it is then hopefully when the SH2 arrives, as soon as it’s connected you should be good to go, if your previous service has already stopped working , presumably it was necessary so that your FTTP will work as soon as the router arrives and is plugged into the ONT , the alternative presumably would have to not complete the FTTP install ( well the authentication part ) , that may have maintained the previous service,  but that would mean you would need to book a new installation date etc, but it’s not clear ( to me at least ) if you have no service at all , or are just disappointed that the FTTP is delayed, but the previous service is still working.

Message 5 of 16

Hi, @oatesm I'm really sorry about that, it's very likely been delayed due to the Royal Mail strikes. You should have been sent an email with a tracking link to their website when it was dispatched. 

Do you have a Smart Hub 2 at the moment or one of the previous versions? 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

If you have FTTP, you don't actually need the hub to get connected. You can make a direct PPPoE connection to the ONT with your PC/laptop temporarily to get online.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Hi thanks for the infomation, i was previously with BT using their Smarthub 2 recieving around 45mb 

BT sent me the red cable as an upgrade informing me i already had the latest hardware which didnt need upgrading.

The new instalation was successfull. the new equipment for full fibre, installed next to my power point is showing the green lights with no issues.  I now have no service, my previous broadband stopped working around 4 hours after the new installation. Checked the Royal Mail tracking for the delivery date of the new smart hub but nothings been updated since Friday 9th December. Been told by BT that the new HUB will be delivered tomorrow Wednesday 14th 1 week after the new instalation date however ive been given 3 different dates now so you can understand  i feel im just being told different dates byBT hoping the equipment is delivered.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Hi Neil, Checked with Royal Mail but nothings been updated from since the 9th Dec. I have the smarthub 2
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

If you already have a Smart Hub2, you don't need a new router. LAN port 4 is configurable as a WAN port. Go to advanced settings and change the full fibre FTTP toggle to ON

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Tried this and still cant get a connection
0 Ratings