cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: New FTTH install cables.

Go to solution

Pretty sure that won’t work as it’s a Cat5 cable, i.e. only 2 pairs and not a CAT5e 4 Pair.

Can you not just use an Electrical Extension Cord so they can install the ONT to where the Router is/will be?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

It has to go under a carpet in front of a fireplace so an electrical extension cable would be a bit bulky, thanks anyway though.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

I'm thinking of this on Amazon -

RJ45 Cat5E-CCA UTP Patch 26 AWG cable 10m  

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

The CCA suggests the cable is Copper Coated Aluminium rather than simply fully copper wires. I always try and avoid CCA due to past problems and pay a little more for full copper. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

I’d concur with 36ULW.

I’ve got one of those cables on an old BT TV box. It’s 2 pair only TX cable, limited to 100Mb/s max. You’ll need 4 pair cat 5e or cat 6 for the ONT but the length could theoretically be up to 100m.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks everyone, your excellent advice has been noted and I have sourced a more compliant cable.

Cheers,

Del.

Message 17 of 20

Go to solution
Can’t you just use a double mains adaptor where the router is? You can get flat ones from Amazon just google 3 way mains extender
My engineer ran the fibre cable to the back bedroom where the router was and put the ONS there.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks Microvent, yes I could and that would be my son-in-law's preferred position for the ONT, but there are also  unmovable obstacles in the way such as a large fish tank and a large old fashioned fire place and other places where it wouldn't be appropriate to pin cables.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

I'm a bit late to this thread, but also got led astray using the cable pictured - two of them from my Useful Bits Box, originally from BT.

It took me a while to realise that they were the reason my laptop was only syncing to the Hub @ 100Mbps. I thought one might be faulty, but became suspicious when the second did the same. A third, different type, cable correctly synced @ 1000Mbps.

Those two cables went in the (recycling) bin - to avoid confusion in the future!

Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

Good advice, thanks Paul.

0 Ratings