cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Not getting full speeds

Go to solution

My broadband speed has been dropping drastically lately and I am having latency problems. I suspect it's my extension phone that is causing problems. I'll need to phone BT to cut it off and get a new faceplate so I can have my phone next to my BT smarthub and get rid of these dangly ADSL filters. 

I ran a test on btwholesale and from what I can tell there does seem to be a fault with the line. I would like a second opinion before I phone up tomorrow. 

Results: 

stats.jpg

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Not getting full speeds

Go to solution

from the dslchecker results your speed range is 53/35mb and also from results your connection speed on 16/7 was 46.95mb which is about halfway so does not look like there are connection problems

if you have landline and not digital voice then try phoning 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

can you post hub stats from hub manager/advanced settings/technical log/information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Product name:
BT Hub 6A

Firmware version:
SG4B1000E079

Firmware updated:
20-May-2022

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:
6 Days, 0 Hours 18 Minutes 36 Seconds

Data rate:
5.76 Mbps / 46.95 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
5761 / 46917

Noise margin:
6 dB / 2.9 dB

Line attenuation:
63.1 dB

Signal attenuation:
43.7 dB / 62.8 dB

VPI / VCI:
0/38

Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:
Fast Path

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

your actual speed is just below attainable and your noise margin at 2.9db is giving a speed boost probably G.INP so you are getting as fast as your line can handle and well within estimated range

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

The other issue is I've never gotten the observed speed. I'm missing a few mbps for both download and upload. Ran numerous tests on Ethernet but that’s the highest it’ll go.

test.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

this has been covered often on forum  the speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds to your hub.  download/upload speeds are lower than connection speeds due to 'overheads' and is normal for all connections

your connection and download speeds look ok

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Would it still be worth removing the phone and using a faceplate? Trying to maximise as much speed as possible.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

as your top estimate is 53mb and currently getting 47mb then I doubt you are going to make any improvement

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

It’s more to improve upload speed if anything. I have a neighbour who manages 10 mbps upload just fine, but he has a faceplate without any extensions.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

then try it if you want but do not keep resetting the hub otherwise you may find you actually get speed reduction if DLM sees your connection constantly dropping.

remember every line is different so just because a neighbour gets a certain speed does not mean that you will get it

0 Ratings