cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 33

Ordered Full Fibre to premises, but no Smarthub2 offered

Go to solution

Hi Folks

Current setup-- 50mb FTTC via Smarthub and use BT Advance landline phones using master socket.

I've ordered Full Fibre and it's due to be installed in a couple of weeks. In most of the stuff I've read, it says the Openreach installer will replace the Master Socket with the ONT.

Am I correct in thinking that this applies ONLY to Digital Voice customers, and the Master Socket will remain untouched for those who are not yet DV enabled?

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: Ordered Full Fibre to premises, but no Smarthub2 offered

Go to solution

The ONT doesn't replace the master socket. It is a completely separate device. The master socket is usually left in situ regardless of being redundant. You will almost certainly be transferred to Digital Voice when FTTP is provided. You will need a Smart Hub 2 in any case in order to provide a WAN port. One will be delivered nearer the time.

Message 3 of 33

Go to solution

Thank you for the very quick reply!

That's one thing less to worry about , now I can concentrate on all the other worries--  like do I have enough power sockets, will he mind having to dig a trench through my garden, will my house phone still work after installation etc 🙂

Neither Digital Voice nor Smarthub2 were mentioned during the order phonecall , so I'm thinking that DV won't be offered anytime soon.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

You will get DV when you get FTTP. There is no point in retaining an analogue phone service.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485 explains about DV

Message 5 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks for adding the link, very useful information.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

Dig a Trench.

If your existing line is Direct in Ground and a Dig is required to provide either Gabacom from a Toby Box or Duct56 to a Joint Footway Box then you really should’ve had a 2 Step Installation.

The Dig/Duct would be done as part of the Step 1 Process.

If it hasn’t I can guarantee it’ll not be done on the Step 2.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution

Thank you for the reply

I didn't know what a Toby Box was, but now I've looked it up and Yes, the street is already kitted out with those from another provider  (V)

This is my problem with the install, there's no advance notice of what will happen on the day, or how difficult it will be.

Do they pull the fibre through the existing underground (copper)connection or do they make their own slit in the garden. I have no way of knowing. I certainly wasn't asked what kind of install was needed and I wouldn't have known the answer anyway. Just have to wait and see, I suppose 😞

EDIT Other people in the street have Fibre. there was no digging up the road involved.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

Is it already Ducted to your house on the Openreach Network?

I only said what I said because you said in your previous comment about the Installer Digging a Trench on your lawn.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

@36ULW No problem. I know you’re trying to answer based on what I said. Thank you for that. Other installs seem to be to a BT manhole-style cabinet. All services in the street are underground and run along the front metre of property (the service strip)

There is no previous OR ducting, just the landline, but I’ve no idea whereabouts in the garden it actually runs to the service strip. I’m still hoping it’s a pull through installation  

Thanks again 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

@Mackab 

If you can put your details on this and post a screenshot of what it reports it will let us give insight into the install process

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

0 Ratings