cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Re: Connection dropping

We've been having the same issue with dropped connections since having BT Fibre 900 installed.  It was rock solid on the previous copper connection.  When the fibre connection was installed we didn't get a new router - were we supposed to?  The connection now has fewer devices attached than before too, so it's not related to devices online.

It's not as frequent as the original poster - it's only two or three times a day but that doesn't stack up to the copper connection that didn't need to be reset for months at a time.

Trevor

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Hi @TrevorBaileyzSw and welcome back.

It's been a while but great to see you again. Thanks for posting about the connection problem. Can you give us more detail? Is this on a wireless or wired connection? Do the hub / PON lights change colour? Give us as much information as possible and we'll try to help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Sorry about the delay

It's for both wired and wireless connections - wired TV/Sky receiver say "Internet connectiion not found", and wireless connections say "connected, no internet" .  The devices are connecting to the router fine, but that's as far as they get.

The lights on the hub stay blue - and connecting to the hub shows the broadband status as connected, but I believe it's incorrect.  Restarting the router seems to temporarily correct the issue, but a restart is needed at least daily, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.

I've tried checking the error log but as it's not obvious when the broadband connection drops, and given the rate that the log posts messages it's almost impossible to find a particular error message.

Hub firmware is at level v0.42.00.10167-BT, and board revision is R01

If you can let me know what other information is needed I'm happy to supply it.

Trevor

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

What about the lights on the ONT, do they change at all?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

If you have SKY Q then you need to change the 5ghz channel and make sure you do not use channel 36 which is used BY SKY.   Try 44 or 48

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

The sky box is hard wired.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Next time it drops I'll take a look.  I assume that's the box between the fibre and the RJ45 to the router.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

I managed to get a photo of the openreach box when the connection just dropped.

It shows 3 lights - and if the picture on this site (https://bigtechquestion.com/2021/06/07/broadband/what-do-the-lights-on-my-openreach-full-fibre-modem...) is correct, I have power, PON and LAN lights lit (LAN light flashing).

As mentioned on earlier message, the sky box is hard wired - cat6 cable back to the router and configured as wired connection.  It stated "Internet not connected". Wifi devices stated "Connected, No internet".

A quick reboot of the router and it bursts back to life.  This has happened a few times during the day but my wife has got into the habit of rebooting the router when it happens as she knows it fixes the problem. 

In summary, it's the same router we had for the previous rock-solid 178Mb copper connection - the only thing that changed for fibre was the new  fibre modem and rj45 cable into the router.

Any clues?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Although it's the same router it's now using a different input, LAN 4 as the WAN rather than the VDSL modem. So it's possibly a problem there. If you haven't already I'd factory reset it via the pinhole on the back. Needs to be held down for a good 20s or so until the lights start to flash. If you have DV, make sure to backup your contacts first.

If that doesn't help or you've already tried it, I'd suggest picking up another SH2 from your local Facebook Marketplace or similar. If that proves a faulty SH2 then you can chase BT for a replacement & either resell that one or keep it as a spare.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@TrevorBaileyzSw 

"the only thing that changed for fibre was the new fibre modem and rj45 cable into the router."

Just a thought, but have you tested or tried replacing that RJ45 cable?

It is not unknown for a brand new cable to be faulty!

0 Ratings