cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Returning to BT from Sky - why are my connection speeds now limited?

Go to solution

I am a returning customer to BT - coming back from Sky. I use my own modem and router - have done with both BT and SKY fibre products in the past. 

Whilst at SKY I was achieving consistently a download speed of 60-70mbs and upload of 20mbs. 

Having now switched back to BT Fibre 2, which states average speeds of;

• Download speed - 67 mbs
  • Upload speed - 19mbs

Why am I now only achieving speeds of 50mbs and <10mbs?

The only difference here is ISP - all equipment and cabling is the same - this leads me to assume that I am being capped in some way?

Here are historic graphs from my ORBI router showing the drop in speeds since returning to BT.

unnamed (1).png

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: Returning to BT from Sky - why are my connection speeds now limited?

Go to solution

Aren't Sky one of the folks who have their own equipment in the exchange...even if it is rebranded Openreach stuff?

Potentially there is a difference.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

I don't personally know enough to confirm that - but that would be one differentiator if correct.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

Sounds like you're on a Fibre 1 profile. Try CS & see if they can check, but it often needs Moderator involvement to resolve.

You may ned to temporarily  connect the BT/EE  Hub you were sent  before calling, or they'll likely wash their hands of the issue if they can't see it.

Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks, I spoke to tech support (plugging back in my BT hub etc).

They informed me that, having spoken to sales, I'm getting the 'max speeds that I paid for' and that there are no products that offer faster speeds available to me.

Now, BT Fibre 2 is marketed as uncapped / unlimited usage etc with average download speeds of 67mbs and upload of 19mbs. That's what I'm expecting when I sign up for the service - and it's what I know the infrastructure here can support.

Looking at what I was sent after signing up - I noticed this table in the order email. This whole section is labelled as a prediction, but I note two lines labelled as 'maximum' and 'minimum' - these match what i'm seeing in my speeds. Why are my service levels being capped - and to what look like Fibre 1 limits? 

Broadband speeds
We predict you'll get the following speeds:

Your estimated download speed: 49Mbps - 50Mbps

Your estimated upload speed: 8Mbps - 9Mbps

Your Stay Fast download speed: 45Mbps

Your maximum download speed will be: 51Mbps

Your maximum upload speed will be: 9Mbps

Your minimum upload speed will be: 8Mbps

On average, customers with the same broadband package get a download speed of 67Mbps

I've always defended BT as a great ISP and have spent nearly 15 years with them - but this is the first time that I can't help but feel a bit cheated. I know my infrastructure can achieve the higher performance levels of the service, it's why I selected Fibre 2. I certainly don't expect BT to cap me to min/max rates?

Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

assuming you did only ordered broadband only package can you enter your address and post results to show what is available to you and hopefully confirm fibre 2 available

like @rbz5416  posted it does look like you have a fibre 1 profile

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Here are the results;

Capturebt.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

Easy enough to prove if you are on the wrong profile. What are your noise margins? If they are greater than 6dB, it will indicate you gave been capped on a fibre1 profile.

Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks, how do I check my noise profile?

To confirm previous question - broadband only package, no landline.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

No idea, you haven't said what modem you have. If you put the hub back on line it is shown in advanced settings>technical log> information