cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Speed

Hi! I’m on a 900 circuit. I don’t even get 400/s . I’ve had engineer come and they do nothing. I’m not a heavy user I’ve checked. The fibres clean and at the ONT its good light. I just don’t understand it 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Speed

@ZiiPopa 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

You are only likely to get the full speed using a fast PC connected via a direct Ethernet cable to the home hub. You will not get anything like the full speed on a single wireless connected device. The bandwidth is available to share among many devices.

Here is a post from SeanD, one of the forum moderators.

"I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre 900, take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

Ethernet should ensure you get the maximum possible speed but I also appreciate that connecting this way is not always possible"

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

And do not use wall powerline adapter! Use ethernet cable.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@ZiiPopa 

The main purpose of these ultrafast lines is to be able to service multiple users with quite heavy bandwidth requirements simultaneously.

As pointed out very few devices will actually be able to achieve the full bandwidth with even a superfast PC being restricted by the server it's trying to download from as it's unlikely that there are mainly servers that'll provide near gigabit speeds for a single attached device.

I download a lot but there's really only me so a Fibre 100 line would be more than adequate for my house.

0 Ratings