cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Switch to BT Fibre

Go to solution

I am a Virgin Media broadband customer (350mb). Now that we have FTTP available on my road (confirmed with Openreach), I can get 500 / 900mb service to the house.

My questions are:

1. The BT pole is about 30 meters from my front door. I need the connection to the downstairs side of the house where my Study is. Will they cable it to this point?

2. A new customer to BT, are there any new joiner offers one is aware of?

3. Relating to 2 above, is this a good move to BT (have options of Sky. TalkTalk broadband etc. as well)

4. My alarm is connected to the copper BT phone line. I have heard I might lose the copper line - BT will put me on digital service. Any alternatives to keep the alarm line connection? 

Hope to get some clarity on these points.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Switch to BT Fibre

Go to solution

the fibre connection from pole would normally follow the existing copper connection.  if you have an existing openreach copper connection who actually supplies it if not existing BT customer?

any BT offers for new customers are found on the BT web page and are always changing

you are not permitted to discuss other ISP packages on the forum

you need to discuss with your alarm company as they should be aware of BT move to VOIP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

1. Yes

2. https://www.bt.com/broadband 

3. Only you can answer that.

4. The alarm company should have a solution. https://www.redcare.bt.com/news-and-events/news/the-pstn-switch-off-how-it-impacts-alarm-signalling.... 

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@imjolly 

Current copper wire "does not exist as such". I have landline provided by Virgin Media.

Thanks. Will pick up with my alarm company.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@pippincp 

Thanks for the info.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@imjolly 

You said "the fibre connection from pole would normally follow the existing copper connection"

Since I have not used BT copper line for years, are they normally flexible and connect to a different connection (to the side of the house)?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

You will need to discuss it with the installer. They will usually be accomadating within what is possible and within regulations regarding clearances etc.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

It will be a new fibre optic cable that will be strung from the pole following the same route to your property. From there the engineer will take it to wherever you want your install.

0 Ratings