cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

slow FTTP

Why is my FTTP so slow? I only have 180 download (on an ethernet)

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: slow FTTP

You probably need to provide more information, what package are you on , have you some evidence like a screen shot of a speed test, have you used the built in ‘BT’ speed test or is it a third party tester that is reporting 180Mb ?, you may be using an Ethernet cable , but is the kit you are using capable of utilising whatever hyper-fast FTTP speeds you pay for ?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

The BT speed checker says that it cannot test our speed. We are on Colleague full fibre 900 BT Halo 3 and it says that it guarantees a 700 download speed. WE have had this for several weeks and still only have 180. I am using a fairly new HP elite book plugged into a Smart hub 2 by an Ethernet cable about 2m long 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

So presumably you are an employee of BT Group ?

TBH , you probably need to check the specs of the machine , if it’s a sub laptop ( note book ) it may not be particularly advanced, but assuming it is , then it’s possible your line has been mis configured , so set at the wrong line rate , but that doesn’t seem to match up either as the 180Mb is more than the 160Mb profile but less than the 300 or 500Mb profile, and with FTTP  if it is connected it’s at the rate set by the administrator.
You maybe should try a speed test with another wired device, or if wireless , like a phone or tablet , a fairly up to date one.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Even a fairly up to date phone or tablet will struggle to get 900Mb/s download over wireless.

@catkinqtry a direct connection to the ONT if there speeds are still low change the ethernet cable and test again. If still no good then ring the FTTP team who will test the speed to your hub.

0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hi, its not a phone or tablet, it is a laptop. I have now done a lot of tests - occasionally I am getting 800+ but only very briefly. Then it goes back down again. We have a BT engineer coming to look at it now as it seems that there is some sort of problem 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

You mean an Openreach engineer.😁

0 Ratings