cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

ADSL switched off by BT in error

Hoping somebody here has a suggestion.  I contracted with BT to move from ADSL to full fibre.  On Tuesday of last week I had the engineer appointment booked:  he turned up 6 hours late and I was in back-to-back calls so I sent him away, I had already contacted BT to reschedule the appointment.  It turns out that engineer reported he had successfully installed full fibre, as a result of which my ADSL was switched off the following day.  It gets better.  Another engineer attended on the Thursday, he told me the first engineer had made the false report, and he also confirmed that I would need a civil engineering team to lay fibre trunking to the house.  That was booked for this Thursday.  In the meantime I asked BT to reinstate ADSL while I awaited fibre installation but was told "that's not the way it works".

Fast forward to this Thursday.  No work was carried out and when I spoke to BT today they told me an engineer did attend yesterday to check and survey and confirmed a civil engineering team was required:  exactly what the engineer I was standing next to on my driveway last Thursday told me.  I am now told a CE team will attend next Tuesday and they "may" be able to lay the trunking but that cannot be guaranteed, after which I will be updated on Wednesday.  That's two weeks without broadband or a landline, and two weeks with a house full of dumb devices and streaming services I pay for but cannot use.  And no guarantee yet of when my service may be reinstated.

I realise the world is moving to full fibre but I cannot understand why an ADSL service that was working fine until noon last Wednesday cannot be temporarily reinstated, especially since the only reason it was switched off was because an engineer lied.  I have been told Openreach would be responsible for that but I am not allowed to speak with them as they do not talk to customers, and the "executive complaints handler" I spoke to told me there is no further escalation within BT.  Does anybody have any advice?  Trying not to have an embolism here.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: ADSL switched off by BT in error

can you enter your phone number and post the results especially the notes.  this will show what type of installation was expected.  how does your existing BT line enter your house - from pole of underground?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

Well that's interesting, there is no data available for the number (likely because they switched off ADSL).  Existing line comes in from underground via the garage, planned fibre would be on the other side of the house.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

Use the address option instead of the phone number.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

@Thodge 

Were you due to move to digital voice with FTTP as once moved to DV your phone number is no longer recognised by the dslchecker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

Yes I think I was, but they switched everything off prior to even starting the fibre installation.  This is what I am so angry about, why not reinstate the original ADSL since it was switched off in error by them?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

Found it via UPRN.  Notes below.  Interestingly it says copper products are only available by exception.  I think since they turned off my existing copper product without warning, this counts.  Too many acronyms below for me to make sense of it...
---

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 2.5 Inch plastic duct 56.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

As a fibre priority exchange, FTTP has priority over other products if available at the address

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This site is in an FTTP priority area where FTTP is available but exceptionally SOGEA will also show as available to order but only at Non-Standard Premises (NSP) such as Hot site, Uninhabitable and Temporary locations. Migrations of WLR Solus (voice-only lines) is also allowed but only for SOGEA 0.5Mbps bandwidths.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules.CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

Thank you for your interest

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

from the notes posted your property is serviced by an existing underground duct and that was what openreach intended to use to install fibre - unless duct is blocked.  openreach would not know if blocked until they came fit your fibre and now have to make alternative arrangements to get you connected

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

Yes, there is fibre to the end of the driveway, but nothing has been laid to the house.  This is why I am so annoyed at them switching off ADSL without checking first.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

The same happened to me. I posted about it somewhere in this forum. The guy couldn’t install the ONT because there was no handy socket (they don’t tell you that crucial piece of information when they boast how simple the FTTP upgrade is. It was already 1:00pm (8-1 slot) so I said that I’d install a spur and new socket, and rebook. Meanwhile they had switched off the broadband; I phoned BT and had exactly the same response when asking if they could just switch it back on.

The second attempt the installer lied about cables/pipes detected in the wall and refused to drill, despite a previous installer drilling to fix the now superfluous modem with no such warnings. (I’ve drilled the holes and fixed the screws myself, ready for the ONT)

Third attempt last Thursday. I waited in the front room from 8-1. Nothing. Phoned BT who said that they had knocked twice at 10.00 and received no response. We have a loud bell and a loud door knocker in the middle of the door. I said that they have my mobile number; how about trying that? They should have done, said Customer Service. Suggests to me another lie. I even kept looking out on the street.

Meanwhile no phone (requires the Home Hub), no signal down the garden in the studio off the EE device they sent where I do much internet-dependent work, and only Freeview TV - all the other stuff needs the HH.

I get the feeling that the subcontracted installers are very poorly trained, technically and in customer skills.

0 Ratings