cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

BT and Openreach cannot get brand new fibre install to work

Go to solution

After waiting years to have our old copper lines replaced we have had new fibre installed in our area.  We signed up our family business and our 2 x family homes (located next to each other) to get them installed.   Open reach installed the equipment and took out the old copper lines to find out that the fibre would not work and they cannot figure out why??  We now have been without broadband for 2 x weeks and Open reach cannot find out why ourselves and another 6 x new installs in the local area  that do not work - it has been escalated to varies departments but they still cannot find out why.  

To  make it worse BT them fined us £130 as the engineer could not install it as it was an openreach fault!!!!!  and then they decided to cancel the install as it will affect their KPI figures - so we now have had to reorder and wait another 2 x weeks to see if it can be installed.  truly shocking service from both BT and Openreach which has resulted in hours on my mobile trying to resolve

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT and Openreach cannot get brand new fibre install to work

Go to solution

@ewanwr 

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

This BT Retail forum has no connection with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

I am also a residential customer with the same issue!!!!!  I have also posted in the business forum for my business

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

did you even read the question Keith - the issue is with BT and Openreach not just Openreach

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

@ewanwr 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

Try calling 0330 1234 150, they may be able to give you an update on the residential package, but not the business one.

BT has no priority over Openreach, who have to deal with all providers the same.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Ketih - I have spent hours on the phone to BT with no resolution

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

It would seem that if you had ordered service from any ISP that uses Openreach you would be having the same difficulties,

The copper pair cable  isn’t normally removed during a FTTP installation , so an unsuccessful fibre installation that’s raised as a migration ( so the cease copper  is linked to the successful provision of the FTTP ) so it should mean the copper based service keeps  working in those circumstances , unless the FTTP service was ordered as a standalone order , and a cease order raised for the copper 

What is the status of the lights on the  ONT ( or ONT’s ) , is the PON light lit and steady or flashing , is the LOS light lit ?

Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

The copper lines were removed as they were over hanging lines and then replaced with the new fibre lights -  we have had 3 x BT engineers and 2 x openreach engineers who have tested all the lines in and  out and equipment and found no fault - they are suggesting it just has not been activated by a computer somehwere but no one can be certain hence my fustration.  We now have been without broadband and a phone line for 2 x weeks and we are in a rural area where 4g  is poor

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @ewanwr

Welcome and thanks for your post!

I am sorry for the problems with your Fibre install.  We will be able to help you with your residential order due to the time you have already spent over the phone trying to get this sorted out.  We are busier than normal at present however we'll get to your case as soon as we possibly can.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

The status of the lights on the ONT ( asked for but you never provided ) would be useful, if not to shorten  the period without service , but to indicate the probable location of the issue.

If the PON light is steady green , that means that the ONT is authenticated by the headend OLT , in effect the Openreach part is complete, the problem could be no interconnection ( cable link ) from the OLT to the ISP backhaul provider, or that is also present but there is a configuration issue with the ISP itself , this would probably show as a steady orange light on the SH2 router …If the PON light is flashing , then the ONT is not authenticated by the OLT , that could be the light being received isn’t from the correct ‘port’ on the OLT , or a configuration or equipment problem at the OLT .

FWIW , you state there are others people affected , unless it’s the case that everyone affected is using BT as their ISP , ( which seems unlikely) then the issue isn’t likely to be with the ISP , but their suppliers .