cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Bt Home Essentials sign up issue

Go to solution

Hi Just tried to sign up to the Bt Home Essentials but have been turned down, i am on Employment and Support Allowance Income based and on Disability Living Allowance 

I wondered if anyone could give me some help with why this might be Please?

Thanks Brian

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Bt Home Essentials sign up issue

Go to solution

your BT account details need to match exactly your DWP benefit details

https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials?s_cid=con_bt_dg-home_awin_aff_vidAJM_110483-Editori...

https://www.bt.com/terms/home-essentials

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Many thanks for your help, i will have to check my BT account

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Brian14. if those details on your BT account then call the DWP and get them to check they've got your national insurance number and address correct. Any slight difference will result in the eligibility checker saying you're not eligible.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Many thanks for your help John, i will try and phone the DWP Tomorrow 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Good morning @Brian14

Keep us posted how you get on with this 🙂

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Yes i will do, still trying to get the DWP to answer 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Just an update on the Sign up situation, spoke to BT who said i failed the Eligibility test  because you need to be receiving income-related Employment and Support Allowance to qualify for Home Essentials. People on contribution-based only ESA are not eligible. If you receive both income and contribution-based ESA, your income-based JSA must be higher

i am on universal credit which states you will meet the eligibility criteria so there is no help there.

Spoke to DWP who said this is not something Universal Credit would be involved with, please speak to BT again or contact Citizens advice

Citizens advice have said make a complaint to BT, so  i will do that now

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

That is some serious mis advice from citizens advice. If you're on a qualifying benefit the complaint would need to be with the DWP to make sure eveything is correct & matches. All BT do is run a check with the DWP system & cannot change anything so complaining to them would actually be completely useless

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Just had a update from the DWP on the situation which has left me more confused than ever

We have no such agreement with BT on UC however we do have an agreement with TalkTalk to provide up to 6 months free but as you already have an internet service provider we can not offer this to you

0 Ratings