cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Deceased persons contract

Go to solution

Hi there,

I don't know if this will be the right place  to post but I'm trying to find out the answer to the following question.

My mum in law died recently and unexpectedly, and my brother in law spoke to someone at BT today who said we'd have to pay off the contract either upfront or take it out in our names and pay off each month until the contract ends..

Is this right? That we'll have to pay off a substantial amount for a service that won't be being used by anyone? 

Appreciate any advice/info

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Deceased persons contract

Go to solution

@Hk1023 

I have asked a moderator to assist with this.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

if your mother-in-law was the account holder and has now died then you don't need to pay of outstanding months of contract  Do you or some family member have POA (power of attorney)?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Hk1023 I'm sorry for your recent loss. 

That is not correct, you don't have to pay the remaining contract term of a deceased persons account, I'm really sorry your brother in law was told that when he spoke to BT.

I can help you make the arrangements to close your Mum in laws BT account and will send you a private message so you can get in touch. 

Thanks

Neil