cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Have I got 2 lines? one FFTP and one FFTC ? House address not matching landline

Go to solution

Hi,

Wondering if someone from BT can help me here.

Background:
When I moved into my house 2 years ago and got BT there was a bit of confusion as the line was linked to the old name of the house (last used in 2007 when the old house was knocked down and rebuilt) and not the current name of the house. I got no letters delivered about my new BT account after ordering - they later found on their system they all were posted to the address with the old house name as that was linked to the landline service.

Two years later, I couldn't remember the mybt password, so I got a new one sent through post and it went to the old house name address, luckily the postman knew and I got it.

I've now updated my address on mybt because it was set to the old house name (which I had never given them).

My problem /query:
I think I've got 2 separate lines into my house because using btwholesale broadbandchecker to see if i can get FFTP fibre.....

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

It's Yes when I use my correct/new housename, but 'No' if I use my actual phone number or use the old house name. Phone number or old house name give identical detailed results about the line.

The new housename result mentions an OH (overhead cable?) line, it looks like that overhead cable goes through the wall into a master socket in the house in a room upstairs that has no dialtone on the socket.  It doesn't look as though it goes anywhere else.

So I'm thinking the other master socket downstairs and no visible outside feed going to it must be some underground cable. My other master socket and all telephone points in different rooms are active and use my landline number.

On the dropdown on address finder when searching for full fibre compatibility at any provider, lists both housenames as options and they have different reference numbers next to them on the btwholesale site.

If I go to another providers website and enter my address (using correct house name) they all say I can get full/ultrafast etc fibre. But mybt account says that I can't - it must be using the actual active landline number for checking?

The engineers finished the full fibre installation / digging work on the path outside my house a month or so ago, after several visits in the last year, and i've been getting various post flyers from companies telling me it's now in my area so i'm sure it's available to me.

I'm confused where to start on what my actual question is...
I guess my question is, how can I find out if I've definitely got two lines? And if the other providers only have that FFTP possible line (the one using OH cable) on their records, then if I go with them what'll happen when they tell BT to cancel the line with my number on (as they say they cancel current provider) and try to put FFTP on. i.e. address and number are not matching up...If another provider puts FFTP/phone in on the line associated with the correct address which I beleive is the OH cable that enters only a room upstairs can they link it up to the other master socket somehow as it seems that's what all my other phone sockets in the house are using.

Alternatively, can BT not figure this out and offer me FFTP on the OH cable?

Does something need to be updated to adjust the old house name that appears to be still labelled to the active landline.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Have I got 2 lines? one FFTP and one FFTC ? House address not matching landline

Go to solution

Any existing lines to your property are copper. FTTP (as the name suggests) is a fibre cable and will require a new cable running.

I'm totally confused regarding your addressing problem but give the FTTP team a call and they should be able to sort it out. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Have I got 2 lines? one FFTP and one FFTC ? House address not matching landline

Go to solution

Thanks, i'll give them a call.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @aw1977 Thanks for posting. If the old house name is still associated with your current telephone number an ORDI case will need to be raised with Openreach to update their systems. Changing the address in MyBT will only update the billing address and not the installation address. 

Post back and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

ok, so this was my solution...

I rang back and explained about the two lookups that I did and the different results - one using old housename or current landline and one using correct house name.

The solution was for me to sign up to a new contract for FFTP (it was a good deal and about equal to what I had been offered elsewhere) and it would be done as a 'house move', i.e. moving to the correct house name.   The engineer will apparently be able to connect up the various sockets from the old line to the new cable they'll put in.

The old house name will probably remain on the database but I don't really care as long as my new line is linked to the correct house name.

Thanks for the advice.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The engineer will NOT connect up your existing sockets. He/she will provide a new fibre connection to an ONT and an Ethernet patch cable to a home hub.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Interesting, that's what I was expecting, however the person on the phone said they could.

As long as they put the fibre cable through the external wall that I choose and place the ONT box there, I'll be happy as I'm not using my existing sockets apart from the master one.

0 Ratings