cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Moving house

I’m due to move house in the next few months, I was told by a BT customer service agent that when you do a home move you enter into a new 24 month contract. Surely this can’t be true? If so I’ll be buying out of my current contract!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moving house

@EHindes63 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

It depend on how long you have to run on your existing contract, as that would normally be carried over to your new property.

If you only have a few months left, the you would normally have to agree to a new contract when you move.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe  Here’s the link moving-home-with-bt but I’m confused as it says that with a telephone line it’s a new 12 month contract but broadband is if you have more than 3 months it’s carried over but if less than 3 months then 3 months is added on. I don’t think it’s been updated since line rental is now part of the broadband payment. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

at the moment I’m only 8 months into my current contract so when I move it will still be over a year remaining.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I suspect that the website has not been updated, as there is no separate telephone line. There is an updated website.

Bear in mind that its in the helpdesk agent`s interest to sell a new contract.

https://www.bt.com/exp/moving-home

Quote "If you choose to keep your existing package, you will need to take your equipment with you to your new home. You can continue on the same contract with the same account. Upgrading your package starts a new contract."

So the new contract only applies if you upgrade.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

at the moment I’m only 8 months into my current contract so when I move it will still be over a year remaining.

@EHindes63 

Then you will continue, and will only have to start a new contract if you upgrade your package.

The helpdesk is not correct.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe  Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the info 

0 Ratings