cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: My neighbour has FTTP but i can't get it

Go to solution

Thanks, I have used that form and Openreach are not explaining why i can't get FTTP. When i complain to Sky, their response is 'FTTP to your property is not available based on the Openreach checker'   Chicken & egg 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

I thought BT and Openreach were still connected?

Thanks for the info, we have no cable/virgin in my area.  I will try the Sky Forum.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

BT Consumer and Openreach are separate companies within the BT Group.

Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

If a neighbour 15m away in a house built by the same developer at around the same time as your property can get Openreach FTTP ( and according to the DSL return you posted for their address , they can ) then either the PON boundary ( which has to be somewhere ) has you on the ‘wrong’ side of it and that neighbour is on the ‘right’ side ….there may be a practical reason why the PON boundary is where it is , or ( more likely ) there is an addressing  issue  with your individual property…..the link to Openreach already provided gives you the opportunity to ask OR to check their record for your address

…..if it is the case that your neighbour can have FTTP  and you can’t, then until OR open up a new PON that includes your property there isn’t much you can do about it , short of going down the FTTPod route, and Sky don’t offer FTTPod ( neither do BT for that matter ) 

As stated , if you are a Sky customer and want FTTP from Sky , then it’s nothing to do with BT , and posting here on a BT customer forum is a little cheeky, obviously if you were to use BT for FTTP ( once it’s available from a new PON or by getting incorrect address information corrected, then this forum ( which is for BT customers not Sky ones ) may offer more ‘help’ 

Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Screenshot_20240807-055641_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240807-055130_Chrome~2.jpg

I'm in a similar position to the OP but we are fully BT (halo EETV mobile) A year ago i was told that we are not in an area for FTTP.

A couple of weeks ago our neighbour had fibre installed not via a nearby CBT but directly from underground. The BT engineer said this would not ease our problem and that the CBT was too far from our premises to use one of the vacant slots. This also applies to all properties to the west of us including a primary school, 14 flats and a few other dwellings. To the east there is a paid for fibre installation covering a few dozen properties. 

This morning i ran the address checker again and saw that FTTP is available. Please could you advise if i am misinterpreting the results. Ours has the address obscured in red 

I have included the FTTP neighbours results (obscured in black) for info

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

The ‘red’ address doesn’t have native FTTP available, but FTTPod ( a different product ) the ‘black’ address does have native FTTP available and FTTP can be ordered .

FTTPod is a product where you pay for the optical network to be built to your address , so can be costly depending on how far away the existing network is , if someone does have deep pockets and pays to get FTTPod , their immediate neighbours can benefit as ‘native’ FTTP becomes available for them .

Anyone  who pays to have FTTPod , after the original FTTPod contract expires, can change to native FTTP , but it’s not a cheap way to get FTTP .

Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

So the neighbour has had FTTP installed. I think you are implying that I can now piggy back on their installation "their immediate neighbours can benefit as ‘native’ FTTP becomes available for them"

Is that why the red broadband checker (mine) now says available? 

How would I go about contacting BT as the standard offer page on my bt only offers FTTC.

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

It’s really impossible to say , if ( for arguments sake ) 8 addresses in a cul-de-sac were not part of a nearby native FTTP scheme, and all 8 addresses were served from the same point , and one benevolent homeowner paid to get FTTPod, the other 7 would see native FTTP as available.
In this case it may be FTTPod , or it may simply be that in an exercise to increase the FTTP footprint a neighbour that was originally in the same position as you ( not having FTTP available ) has benefited from the network being expanded, but that expansion hasn’t benefited you .

A PON ( passive optical network ) is designed to include a certain area , there can be occasions where very near neighbours are either side of the PON boundary, so one neighbour can get FTTP and the other cannot .

A way to visualise this , imagine a road that runs West to East , 10 houses in total on the road ,houses 
No1 to 5 the duct feeding them comes from the West side , the duct feeding No 6 to 10 comes from the East , so although No5 and No6 are next door neighbours, they are on totally different duct routes,  and that could mean at some point , one will be included in a PON  and have FTTP available, but the other isn’t , underground ducts are invisible so to the ‘layman’ it seems weird that one can neighbour get FTTP and the other cannot , but there will be a physical restriction.

Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks again,

I have contacted Openreach and asked them for clarification using the online form further up this thread

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

Within a day, I had a phone call from Open reach to say that they would look into  updating records to associate our property with some nearby fibre equipment. Back in touch in 5 working days.

That's great news as it comes as my contract is up for renewal for EETV and will bundle fibre into those discussions with BT.

Very grateful for knowledgeable and helpful folks on here pointing me towards a solution

0 Ratings