cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

MyBT - BT account hacked?

Go to solution

Long phone-call this morning from someone claiming to be from BT - all the usual signs of a scam, but they knew my name, postcode, sent me emails and text messages with a pin number as from btcomms@info.bt.com - and they knew my BT account number! Claimed my email (an outlook.com address) was 'compromised' and other people could use/read messages - got as far as anydesk and running wc3 validator to prove there were 'errors' (though he couldn't explain what the errors meant). Tried putting the phone down twice and they rang back. When he asked me to log in to online banking to see if there were any unexplained withdrawals - I said I wouldn't do so while he was sitting there and put the phone down again. The phone rang twice more but I let it ring. (Which presumably means they hadn't got everything they wanted to know.) They eventually gave up.

What details have I already given out?

And now when I try to log in to My BT it takes me to what looks like my home page, and has my 'details', but doesn't show my account number (just 'Account1'), has an out-of-date second email address, doesn't list the 'products' I have (broadband, landline) and won't let me check my bills. Allowed me to change my password, but still takes me to the same wrong home page.

Not sure how to contact BT!

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: MyBT - BT account hacked?

Go to solution
PS - just tried 'Forgotten login details' - it doesn't recognise either of my email addresses or my landline phone number (claims the landline number doesn't exist - though it certainly still working!)
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Call customer services
0330 1234 150

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution
PS Update - Managed to log in to My BT on my tablet - took me to my proper home page with my account number, my bills, my products etc - so it's my laptop keeps diverting me to the fake site!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

You could have malware on your laptop. You need to run a scan for malware.

You can down load and run the free adwcleaner from Malwarebytes which will scan and locate any malware on your laptop.

EDIT: You should also clear your web browsers history and cookies then restart the web browser after doing that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks, Malwarebytes reports clear. Discovered I could log in to My BT properly in Chrome, it was only Edge that diverted me to the fake site. Deleted all bt relevant passwords in Edge's 'wallet' (including one I didn't recognise and certainly hadn't created!), and found I could now log in with my new password to the genuine site, with all my bills, products etc. Changed password again anyway! My concern is that they knew my BT account number which even BT blank out most of in emails. 

The other worry is the usual advice 'just hang up' - in this case they just kept phoning back!

(Does BT use Indian call-centres?)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

@johnaclark wrote:

(Does BT use Indian call-centres?)

No

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

BT no longer use Indian call centres.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution
I wish I'd known that!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Did you give the scammer access to your computer or download anything that the scammer gave you a link to?

0 Ratings