cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: MyBT - BT account hacked?

Go to solution

Much against my better judgement - anydesk - 

when he asked me to login to online banking is when I gave up, put the phone down and let it ring when he phoned back

But I use Barclays PIN-sentry for banking, so there's no pin number stored on the computer?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

I hope you have uninstalled "anydesk" or what ever it was that you allowed the hackers to use.

I would suggest that you use a different computer to change all your passwords on all your accounts/services that use passwords and after you have done that you start your computer up in safe mode, you can search the Internet how to do that depending on what operating system you have, and once it starts in safe mode carry out a full antivirus scan and malware scan again.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks for all the advice - I've been busy locking the stable door and cursing myself for falling for it - it's my curiosity that leads me sometimes to go along with a scam to find out how it works, and spot the hook before it bites.

However, the original reason I posted it here was because it wasn't a random attack - it was targeted at me as a BT customer (I've talked to someone at BT - at least I hope it was BT! - about this).

They already knew when they phoned me on my landline:

my name

my landline number

my address (at least postcode)

my btinternet.com email address - they sent me a very realistic BT email with a 'BT ID PIN' to confirm

my mobile number - a typical 'Hello, BT here' text with the same BT ID PIN

and, clincher, my BT account number (I have a separate note of it and I asked them to recite it for me to confirm)

And in spite of all the warning bells, that's what persuaded me it was BT who were phoning.

My concern for the BT Community is how they acquired this information and whether other BT customers are in danger of receiving similar approaches.

My only cause for optimism is that after I'd eventually had enough ('please log in to online banking to see if there are any suspicious withdrawals'), hung up the phone and turned the laptop off, they tried ringing back several times - I finally let it ring out - which suggests they hadn't actually got everything they expected!

--

Although Malwarebytes reports it's clear, I'm still concerned that they might have downloaded something malicious and set boobytraps. And in the longer term, that they've harvested personal information from my hard disk to sell on for identity theft. There's everything from childhood photographs to my Will! Presumably I won't know until I start getting final demands for someone else's debts!

J

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

No genuine callers will ask you to install any software on any of your devices so don't do it.

BT used to use 3rd party Indian contractors many, many moons ago and it's my (unproven) theory that some lowlife has somehow obtained some data which should have been securely destroyed.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Anydesk means l your files.your computer so might have copied all your files. So check if there is anything on there that might be like a password or confidential financial information.

I get called from India almost every day - I had another one today - always saying something ilke they are BT or Amazon or even the information commissioner - or Microsoft. Today they said they were bank security. I just hang up.

However in your case it is interesting they had all your BT details including account number so they must have obtained that from somewhere eg a criminal at BT in England.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

Most BT ID ‘s are the users email address ,and likely to be @btinternet.com , clicking  the ‘forgotten login details’ link , generates a text/email to the  phone/email address  the BT customer entered when they set  up their BT  access in the first place  , so the scammer doesn’t necessarily know anything other than your email address ( the poster that accused a BT employee has absolutely no evidence of such a wild malicious accusation ) ,

The scammer  state  that if they can text you or email you they must be from BT , when in truth all they have done is put your email address in as the BT ID  and clicked the forgotten login details link , the text etc. is genuinely from BT  sent to your recorded details, obviously anyone can get to this from BT.com, and tell you they sent the text or email , when in truth, they simply initiated the  ’ forgot login details’ process 

There are many ways your ( landline ) phone number and name could become known to the scammer , leaked or sold from anyone or anywhere,   and you know you were reckless in the extreme to download anything at the behest of anyone , especially someone making a unsolicited call  ….did you handover control of your PC , or simply installed Anydesk ?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

@iniltouswrote:

Most BT ID ‘s are the users email address ,and likely to be @btinternet.com , clicking  the ‘forgotten login details’ link , generates a text/email to the  phone/email address  the BT customer entered when they set  up their BT  access in the first place  , so the scammer doesn’t necessarily know anything other than your email address ( the poster that accused a BT employee has absolutely no evidence of such a wild malicious accusation ) ,

The scammer  state  that if they can text you or email you they must be from BT , when in truth all they have done is put your email address in as the BT ID  and clicked the forgotten login details link , the text etc. is genuinely from BT  sent to your recorded details, obviously anyone can get to this from BT.com, and tell you they sent the text or email , when in truth, they simply initiated the  ’ forgot login details’ process 

There are many ways your ( landline ) phone number and name could become known to the scammer ( leaked or sold from anyone or anywhere,   and as a TBH , you know you were reckless in the extreme to download anything at the behest of anyone , especially someone making a unsolicited call  ….did you handover control of your PC , or simply installed Anydesk ?

Who said that?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution
Thank you for the explanation - does this also give the BT Account number?
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

Well they've obviously done something - I'm locked out of Facebook, I think they've changed my password!

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @johnaclark,

Being locked out of Facebook is linked to a wider fault that they're experiencing.

I just tried mine again and got back in after being locked out too.

It's worth giving it a try again.

Thanks,

DanielS