cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Speed and price change

Hi all,

Has anyone else had the same experience?

I've been with BT for some years, and although out of contract I was still on the previous speeds of 80Mb and not on these Halo packages.

Recently, coincidently at same time as these price hikes, which added over £10 to my bill, BT have switched me onto Halo1 without notifying me. This means that I know get dismal 60Mb down and around 15Mb up speeds.

It's a joke that not only have they increased my bill by 25%, but also reduced my Internet provision without notification. And devices have started to struggle. It seems that BT aren't supporting the "Internet of things".

No wonder BT are having to make so many cuts. We were perfectly happy at old price and speed because the 4G backup and being able to contact British based tech to trace and sort out problems.

But, as we now have a cityfibre line right outside our front garden, it looks like we going to switch to Vodafone full fibre to property. Giving 100Mb down and up, at half the price we paying now. For the same price we can get 900Mb down and up.

It's a real shame. Really wanted to keep supporting BT so that they continue providing the UK with their services. But once they start ripping me off that's it. Its over.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: Speed and price change

Halo is an add on and has no affect on your connection speed so your problem is elsewhere

can you post your current hub hub manager/advanced settings/technical log information 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

Not true.

I was on what is now considered "superfast". My max was 80Mb down with a 60Mb guarantee. 

Now I have been switched to "superfamily with Halo1" and my package says its comes with max 61Mb down and 14Mb up, with a 50Mb guarantee.

As with the original 80Mb package, I keep a check every now and then on speed tests. And one carried out today, because our WiFi has been sporadic, shows maximum 60Mb down and 24Mb up. So nothing wrong with connection.

It's the fact that BT has downgraded my speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

It's more than likely cross talk or something, BT won't have downgraded your speed, the line just won't be able to get as much due to othe rfactors

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

Re: Moved from Fibre 1 to Fibre 2... but no difference

Robbie

I have same problem. I was getting the 80Mb down speeds until recent price changes.

Now my account package say I'm on "superfast with Halo1" and my speeds are max 60Mb down and 14Mb up.

I rang up to ask why and the telephone lady just said she'd log it as complaint. Didn't want to look into it or sort it out.

As I can get Vodafone on cityfibre at 100Mb down and up for half the price I don't see the point of staying with Bt after all these years.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

So the fact that my account used to have a package that stated I was on max 80Mb down, and constantly received 78Mb. And now my account says my package has a max of 60Mb down is because of cross talk?

It states on my account that my package max speed is 20Mb lower than it was. That's not a line problem.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

It may be but the other thing is BT have agreed to give speed guarantees that are realistic in peak times as well, fact is BT haven't reduced your speed no matter what you think

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Absolutely the most rubbish I have read on here.

Unlike a lot of people, I am well aware of my way around WiFi and networking. When we first got connected to BT with a package that was max 80Mb download with guaranteed 60Mb, I worked diligently with a BT tech on here to locate a line issue which led to an engineer having to come and replace the outside cabling down to a junction box at the end of terrace.

Again, the package I signed up to, and received until this April's price hikes, were what is now known as the "superfast" package with max 80Mb and guaranteed 60Mb.

When the prices shot up, my package description, of which I am in no contract, now says "superfast with Halo1" and the max speed as "60Mb down with a guaranteed 50Mb down, and 14Mb up".

So yes, BT have reduced the "guaranteed " download speed from what I was originally guaranteed on my "previous" package by 10Mb.

BUT, they have also reduced the maximum speed of my package by 20Mb download. They have reduced my package maximum speed to what I used to be as a "guaranteed minimum". Losing out on an extra 18-19Mb that I would get consistently.

Because I worked with the engineer and tech to fix all line faults, and kept on top of speed monitoring, the only time our speed dropped was when there was a fault in the local area, and we had to go to the 4G dongle. Which was only twice in last 3yrs, and never an issue due to any connection our side of the main street cabinet. And aart from then we were always getting 78Mb download. But with this package change we will only ever get a maximum of 60Mb... my account package says that is now the maximum.

I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that.

I was on account package that stated I had a max download speed of 80Mb with guaranteed 60Mb. And since price changes in April my account package now states it has a max download speed of 60Mb with guaranteed 50Mb.  

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

Whatever you may think, there is no package change that would reduce your speed from 80 to 60.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

Screenshot_20230530-135454_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230530-135515_Chrome.jpg

 that's from seconds ago.  To be clear, I had a consistant 78Mb speed combining into the hub until recent April changes of account package.

0 Ratings