cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

line rental discount?

got an email saying my line rental discount is no longer going to be honoured. Does this mean my BB bill will increase by over £20/ month from the date the line rental ends?

If so, can anyone recommend an ISP that gives better value? Ive been told Cuckoo is reasonable?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: line rental discount?

@simonriddler 

No, the discount is only equivalent to one months line rental saving and is no longer available. Line rental is included in all broadband packages, as you need a line to carry the broadband connection.

The discussion of other ISPs is not permitted on this BT Retail forum.

Message 3 of 24

@simonriddler 

From your post you must have paid a lump sum upfront commonly known as line rental saver  which gave you a reduction over the next 12  months saving you about £20 over the year. LRS is no longer available so you now just pay the package price which as @Keith_Beddoe posted includes cost of renting the line whether that is copper or fibre.  Without 'the line' you cannot get broadband or phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 24

Your line rental saver term must have come to an end, mine is still being honoured and will finish in March at which time my bill will increase by £19.99
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Just to reiterate, that’s £20 a year ( not per month ) , so if you no longer have LRS ( line rental saver ) you no longer pay £220 upfront to receive 12 x £20 credits 1 per month ,so the overall effect is that you don’t get £20 off per year for the upfront £220 payment, so although your payment may go up by £20 per month , you have £220 in the bank that previously you would have paid in a lump sum 

Message 6 of 24

In answer to the first part of your query you monthly bill will rise by £19.99 per month.

I think some of the other anwers are complicating the issue.

Message 7 of 24

To simply state that that the OP bill will go up by £20 a month and that any anything complicates the issue is idiotic, without adding some context ( what you claim is complicating the issue ) a totally misleading impression is given , baldly  stating your bill goes up £20 a month without LRS technically true means the bill likely goes up from £10 ( with the £20 discount removed) back to an industry average of around £30 , the true loss of LRS is around £1.66 a month , although this may be enough for the OP to consider a different ISP anyway , but given the OP was speculating the removal of LRS was significant enough to consider a different ISP , suggests they ( and other contributors) did not really understand the scheme in the first place , its demise is probably a good thing given that there still appear to be some that never actually have understood it .

Message 8 of 24

I think the OP has realized, like I have, that the LRS psychologically soothed the actual cost of broadband over the last few years. Now that that it’s been stopped, I’ve realized that the time has come to look at all ISP options, given a great many do not charge for ‘line rental’ now, rather than accept the current status quo. What also dismayed me was when I last started a new contract with BT, the price offered was £35/month which clearly didn’t include line rental as I was already paying LRS.  If that price did include line rental then, clearly I’ve been paying line rental twice over the last 18 months. In addition, the annual price increase in March of inflation plus 3.9% is, in my opinion, unacceptable these days as, again, a number of ISP’s do not have in contract price increases. I have had BT services for 35 years and have been very pleased with their service but now is the time to move on to a competitor who will supply me with 6x the download speed, which is also symmetrical and Wi-Fi 6 capable. Now I understand that this speed is far greater than my current needs, but it does future proof my internet connection and is less than half my current monthly cost. In addition, the home phone cost is only £3/month with free evening and weekend calls.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

If you take out a BT Broadband package line rental is included in the price. There is no separate charge.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

@BAFlyer 

when you first took out LRS by paying a lump sum upfront the cost of broadband was separate from the line rental so you paid Broadband + line rental and received a fixed reduction as you had paid LRS in advance ( I had this)  when packages changed to be all inclusive broadband and line rental you had 1 package cost less the monthly LRS.  as there was now no longer a separate cost of line rental the LRS should have stopped then but BT in their wisdom continued LRS leading to total confusion confirmed by your post and many others over the recent months

so the package you agreed was that £35 so you bill showed package price per month less LRS or was your cost £35 after reduction for LRS

as has already been posted the cessation of LRS (no £220 upfront )results in your annual package cost increasing buy about £20

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings