cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 34

BT Virus Protect switch from McAfee to Norton. iPad Air 3 IOS 15.2.1.

Go to solution

Hi,

I received a letter today from BT saying I have to 'download the new BT Virus Protect Powered by Norton'. To update I was told to go to www.bt.com/update your security. Update deadline was was 31/03/2022. 
When I do as instructed this message comes up - 'Norton Security cannot be installed on your operating system'.

My device is an IPad Air 3 IOS 15.2.1

Please advise.

Regards, Pat Smith

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34

Re: BT Virus Protect switch from McAfee to Norton. iPad Air 3 IOS 15.2.1.

Go to solution

I have gone to bt.com/update your security, but it doesn’t take me anywhere that allows me to change over from McAffe to Norton ? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 34

Go to solution

Another rushed out badly conceived piece of software from BT. It’s almost as if they say let’s just throw it out there and hopefully some of the more savvy amongst us will beta test the install and then BT can produce an “idiots guide”. 
Frankly I’m not surprised but still as appalled they do it this way. 
I’d suggest waiting until early March when all the bugs and fixes have been ironed out and with a fair wind we’ll have instructions that actually work. After all they don’t want to eat into their Inflation +3.9% fee uplift - I.e that’s 9%!!!!!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 34

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

I'm really sorry for any confusion caused, BT Virus protect with Norton is not compatible with iOS devices so you won't be able to install it on an iPhone or iPad.

What is BT Virus Protect and how do I get it?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 34

Go to solution

I’m confused! I too get the warning and I’ve no Windows of to download!

does this mean that BT no longer protects my iPhones and iPads (several in the house), or does it mean I can’t use those devices to download the new Norton antivirus? In which case, with no windows PC in the house - what to do for protection?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 34

Go to solution

Hi @thethacks5, Apple built iOS – the software which runs on iPhones and iPads – to be as secure as it can be. All apps in their store are checked before they’re allowed into the App Store.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 34

Go to solution

Thanks - so as I don't have Windows only iOS I don't need to do anything?

Message 8 of 34

Go to solution

Thanks for all your helpful replies. 
It would appear that if we just use iOS we can relax!?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 34

Go to solution

@JohnC2  - for the avoidance of doubt, are the conclusions  drawn by @thethacks5 and @patsmith29 after your earlier post correct, i.e. that on iOS iPads and iPhones, no additional protection is required?  Or is it just that Norton hasn't yet produced a product that passes the App Store's scrutiny - which could be a reading-between-the-lines message in your earlier post?

If it's the former, that's reassuring, but is not crystal clear from your earlier post.

If it's the latter, that Apple and Norton are still arm-wrestling, does BT intend to include protection to iOS devices within BT Virus Protect package if and when they resolve their differences?

TIA

Paul

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 34

Go to solution

@PNF wrote:

@JohnC2  - for the avoidance of doubt, are the conclusions  drawn by @thethacks5 and @patsmith29 after your earlier post correct, i.e. that on iOS iPads and iPhones, no additional protection is required?  Or is it just that Norton hasn't yet produced a product that passes the App Store's scrutiny - which could be a reading-between-the-lines message in your earlier post?

If it's the former, that's reassuring, but is not crystal clear from your earlier post.

If it's the latter, that Apple and Norton are still arm-wrestling, does BT intend to include protection to iOS devices within BT Virus Protect package if and when they resolve their differences?

TIA

Paul

Have a read of these links and there are many more if you do an Internet search about if there is a need for AV on iPhones/iPads

Do you Need Antivirus on iPad or iPhone? (techadvisor.com)

What’s the Best Antivirus for iPhone? None! (howtogeek.com)

Do Macs, iPhones and iPads need antivirus? | F-Secure