cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 24

Re: My BT - ‘Test my Speed’ not working

@Ewan1 

Did you use an Ethernet cable? I’ve never seen speeds like that using Wi-Fi and I am on Full Fibre 900. Using an Ethernet cable and USB-C to Ethernet adapter, Fast.com returned a download speed of 1.2Gb/sec on my iPad Pro (4th Gen). However, while very welcome, that was an isolated result. Multiple testing returned average results between 900Mb and 1.0Gb/s download and upload speeds were generally around or >100Mb/s. This was confirmed by other speed testers, including Ookla. Using Wi-Fi on the same device, download results are usually between 400 and 500Mb/s and uploads around or >100Mb/s which are more than satisfactory for our domestic requirements.

Again, it’s important to note that these latter Wi-Fi speeds are not covered by BT’s Stay Fast Guarantee. Rather it applies to actual speeds achievable under your contract via fibre from your local exchange/cabinet direct to your hub/router.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 24

@ cruachian

Yes this is using a Cat 5e ethernet cable.

As WIFI is half duplex you will never get full speed over WIFI

I have a U-Green USB to Ethernet cable that I use on my old desktop PC as the ethernet connection on the motherboard can't handle the speed. I get around 750MB out of that. With converter cables quality is the key as cheap ones are unlikely to deliver top speeds.

NB Fast.com is not a reliable speed test as it tends to over state the download speed significantly

Finally BTW Performance Tester (btwholesale.com) is acceptable for BT speed guarantee

Hope this helps

Message 23 of 24

Not working at my end as well 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 24

@Ewan1  wrote:

“NB Fast.com is not a reliable speed test as it tends to over state the download speed significantly.

Finally BTW Performance Tester (btwholesale.com) is acceptable for BT speed guarantee

Yes, I did wonder about Fast.com and I’ll certainly keep btwholesale.com in mind in the, hopefully, unlikely event I need to raise a complaint with BT.

Many thanks for your informative and helpful input.

0 Ratings