cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Unable to disable BT Wi-Fi

Go to solution

Hi all,

I recently realised that BT Wi-fi is enabled on my BT Smart Hub and I can see the BTWi-fi and BTWifi-X SSIDs being broadcasted (even though I believe I had opted out many years back):

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 15.20.27.png

I have tried going to MyBT -> Your products -> BT wi-fi, however it doesn't think that I am opted in:

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 15.21.54.jpg

Even if I try to "opt in" again, the page will just reload showing that I am not opted in.

Does anyone know what I can do? I've tried speaking to BT support over chat and the phone and they don't seem to be able to work out what could be the issue.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Unable to disable BT Wi-Fi

Go to solution

After reading a number of users experiences* I am not sure you can disable public Wi-Fi (BTWifi formerly Fon/Openzone) even by turning off Wi-Fi on the SH2. A replacement non BT router would be work of course.

*https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Trying-to-opt-out-of-BT-wi-fi-to-prevent-my-BT-...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks @spile for your reply. It seems a shame that I would need to buy another router to disable this given that it looks like a bug 😞.

I also tried factory resetting the router... It was still showing that BT Wi-fi was active in the Smart Hub admin but it wasn't broadcasting the BT-WifiX SSID. However, the next day the BT-WifiX network was back, so presumably it had re-enabled over night.

I have BT Mobile, which also provides access to BT Wifi. I wasn't sure if this is causing the issue (i.e. BT sees that my account has access to BT Wifi and thus enables it on the router) but I'm not sure how this could be verified.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hmm I'm still on the 24-May-2022 firmware version.

The closest thread to the issue I'm experiencing that I've been able to find is this one I think: https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/BT-wifi-x-How-to-opt-out/td-p/2073943

However, when I click "Set up now", it just goes back to the same page with the checkbox unticked again. I've tried with Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Have you tried calling the BTWifi Help line 0800.022.3322.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Like many BT web pages, the BTWiFi  page appears to be broken and just goes round in circles.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @novapulsar

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

I'm sorry for the problems trying to opt out of BT Wi-fi with Fon.  I am sure we will be able to help you get this sorted out.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @novapulsar ,

Thanks for sending over the details. I've checked the case notes and can see the wifi guys have got this sorted for you. Post back if you have any other problems and we'll be happy to help.

All the best

David

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@DavidM  They may have fixed the individual problem for the OP, but they haven't fixed the broken web page that is still looping.

0 Ratings