cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Freeview Box

When our BT TV comes up for renewal next year, we will be cancelling the subscription. Can anyone suggest the best alternative to replace the BT box ? The alternatives, I have found are either non recordable or Humax, which is the make that BT uses. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Freeview Box

If I was replacing my venerable old Digitalstream Freeview PVR I would look to see if I could get hold of an old Fox T2 and install the modded firmware. Of those currently on the market I would probably go for an Aura.  If you don't want a Humax then the Manhattan is the only one I can think of but that has some pretty ropey user experiences that I have seen.

I am assuming you are wanting a device that is good at being a Freeview PVR and not so bothered about its catch up service capability.  Myself, I use a Chromecast dongle for these which means it is not as limited in what it offers either currently or in the future.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

@AnnS52 

If you received the box before 13/12/2019 then it's yours to keep & carry on using.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Hi @AnnS52 Thanks for posting, may I ask why you want to cancel? If you need any help with your BT TV let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for your reply.

We have had a BT box from when YouView was first introduced, the main reason being that it enabled us to record programs. Now that we have a smart TV, there doesn’t seem to be a good reason to keep the subscription with BT, the cost of which has steadily crept up over the years, for what basically is rental of a TV recorder. Also, after having problems with our broadband, we are now on Full Fibre 900 with Halo 3+, so the cost of that has gone up as well. To be honest, I think at the end of the day, we didn’t need that package so are looking to down grade, when it comes up for renewal.

Ann

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

There is an essential package which is the bare minimum without any extra channels out with Freeview (and is not flexible) or the Entertainment package with Netflix and Discovery Plus.

All the package details can be found here. 

https://www.bt.com/tv

If you don't re contract after your first 24 months it will go up. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@AnnS52 

In terms of current recorders the choices are limited as has been mentioned.

However I have some Panasonic devices which are reliable and quite adequate but not the quickest around. One I have is the Panasonic DMR-HWT150 which is relatively new and is a FreeviewPlay recorder and there are some around pre-owned that come with 12 months warranty.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@AnnS52 

While the Pro box is the future, we are not yet in the future, and it is still a bit rough around the edges.

But the earlier BT YouView recording boxes, the DTR-T2xxx (where xxx is not 000) and DTR-T4000, are very stable, and can be sourced inexpensively from eBay or Amazon. Or, if you want it backed by a meaningful guarantee, from CeX. So don’t worry about them being Humax.

I do have Now, but not via BT TV. BT TV would be great if I was a big sports fan, I think, but I’m not.

So like you, I am looking to downsize my BT subscription when I can, but for me, it’s just the broadband.

And BT are going to have to work very hard to keep me when my current contract is up; what I’m currently paying for what I’m currently getting was worth every penny when I was WFH as part of a 24/7 support team, all the bells and whistles and so on, but now I’ve retired, I don’t need that level of service.

I’ll stay with BT if I get a good offer though, as they have been very satisfactory; it’s just my needs that have changed, not my good opinion of them.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
Message 9 of 9

They may want to cancel due to cost.

I heard the new Manhattan  box thats due out in the next few weeks is meant to be a good Freeview Play recorder but as said if you got your Youview  box before the 19th December 2019 then the box should be yours to keep.

I now use the Amazon Firesticks HD for nearly all my apps and tend to only use my Youview box now as a PVR and to watch Freeview channels.

I cancelled BT TV 18 months ago and went direct with Now with discounts.

Im not a big sports fan although I do watch sport its not worth my while paying for sport.

Im more in to TV shows/TV box sets and movies.

I also have Netflix, Prime and Disney+.