cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 61

Re: No more fast forwarding through the adverts for ITV recordings in IP mode

Before I cancelled, I started watching a live programme and chose the option to “start from the beginning”. Even using this replay, you could not get passed the adverts. At that point I thought I will just cancel.

Stew

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 61

Hi @zulu17 and @garybs29, I've had feedback on the questions you've raised:

1. Does this apply to ITV recordings made before 6 November  or only on recordings  from 6 November ? No, this only impacts recordings made after the change

2. If I use the jump facility on a ITV recording e.g. type 7 to go 70% into the recording do I get forced to watch every advert break that occurs from the beginning of the recording to that point. No, you don't have to watch every ad-break if you use the jump facility. The jump is reduced to terminate at the start of the last ad skip zone that would have been skipped by the jump

3. Will ITV X be updated to HD ? On demand isn't affected

4. Will ITV X FAST channels be introduced ? On demand isn't affected

5. Also for those of us in Scotland (& NI actually) does it affect STV/UTV too? The change doesn't apply to the STV app or any app

Cheers 

John

Message 33 of 61

I assume there must be a software download on it's way, because at the moment I can still fast forward through the ad breaks.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 61

@Hunter2660 

On ITV over IP recordings you made today?

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 35 of 61

@Midnight_Voicewrote:

@Hunter2660 

On ITV over IP recordings you made today?

Yes indeed. No difference at all, which made me think there is a software update on it's way

Message 36 of 61

Software updated today, so I tried to skip ads, paused live ITV for 30 mins then when you go play it the timeline shows a yellow line within it , that's where the ads are.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 61

I've switched over to aerial mode because of the missing channels on internet mode.

Now I've read this scummy and greedy decision, I'm gonna stay in aerial mode for good now.

IPTV is and could have been a great thing for the future... but I am sad to say that it is already being destroyed by greed. Can't we have anything good anymore?

Message 38 of 61

@c64z86 Appreciate that it is frustrating, but greed? Adverts are how ITV are funded. They have insisted on this to anyone consuming the IP feeds.

Message 39 of 61

@SoupDragon57wrote:

@c64z86 Appreciate that it is frustrating, but greed? Adverts are how ITV are funded. They have insisted on this to anyone consuming the IP feeds.

If you pay for itvX premium, catch up is in HD and there are no ads in on demand content, on any platform, apart from BT TV.

If you use Sky Stream or Glass (both fed by IP feeds), neither records, but you can pay £5 per month to skip through ads on many of the catch up services, including itvX.

So, whilst I agree that itv needs the ad revenue, BT TV is the only platform that doesn't give you the option to pay a small premium and avoid the ads.

They are only doing this on IP feeds because they can at a technical level. The full suite of itv channels (apart from itvbe), remain available in HD through a suitable FTA satellite receiver and can be recorded as normal if it is a PVR.

If ads don't bother you and you are happy to watch content in standard definition (or you can't afford a premium), then all of the above is moot of course, but for us, it's just another reason not to bother with BT TV. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 40 of 61

Of course it is how it is funded, but with more and more advertisements coming on TV it's only going to get more frustrating as time goes on. One day it's probably going to end up where you have adverts every 10 minutes or so and you will not be able to fast forward through any of them in IPTV mode recordings anymore.

Umm would you want that happening in future to all channels on IPTV mode? IPTV is going to be the future as less and less people take up traditional TV viewing, which means it will one day become the default way to watch TV, just as how the aerial is today. 

One big reason that people record shows is so that they then can watch them later and be able to FF through the adverts. If this change is implemented to all the IPTV channels, then that reason will become a thing of the past.

As someone else said on here it's probably a way to test the waters, so that other channels can gauge the reaction to it and decide if they want to implement the same thing on their services or not.

If we don't voice our disappointments now (NOT to BT they have no control over these ads, not their fault. They provide a brilliant TV service) then the other channels will probably see our complacency as an ok to then bring the same change to their IPTV channels.

Then we shouldn't be upset or surprised when BT TV in IPTV mode ends up like Sky Stream where we have to pay an ever increasing extra for the privilege of being able to skip adverts.

If you watch live TV, do you sit and watch every advert on TV now, because adverts are how the channels are funded, or do you pause/record and watch later to skip through the adverts at least sometimes? I'm willing to bet most of you  reading this like to FF through them and don't see it as theft of their funding.