Re: Purple Screen

Hi .

Thanks for your message. 

I did reply to PaddyB

Regards 

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 40

Hi @Spanishbear you didn't provide your BT account information,  we need that to carry our diagnostics on your BT TV box. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 40

Hello Neil,

As I reported previously I had an engineer out to look at the problem.

I am aware of several  other people on the forum having the same issues. 

However BT are not interested in investigating the problem. Is it because they are not bothered or they know what it is and want to keep it quiet

Regards

SB

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 40

Hi, No its  not my TV I can use another Freeview box with no problems.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 40

Hi, BT have admitted defeat and have cancelled my contract for which I am grateful. I am using my old Manhattan T3r with no issues .

I hope that they solve the issues with the BT Pro Box as it was good

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 40

I occasionally get the purple picture on my DTR 4000 box. I just turn it off and power up again. Also when I tune into another channel after viewing Netflix sometimes I have no sound. Bugs I suppose

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 40

Hi @edbostan 

Suspect that purple screen problem may lie in the HDMI connection from the  box to the TV.

Power cycling devices can often restore normal  viewing.

If you have a spare HDMI cable then swapping  and seeing if any reoccurances occur might be  a worthwhile exercise.

Which television model are you using ?

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 40

@zulu17 @edbostan 

Indeed, purple screen is a sign of the HDMI handshake failing. This can be an issue with the device on either end, or with the cable itself.

Cable issues can be quickly eliminated by swapping the cable for a known-to-be-good one. While it’s tempting to say “But this is the cable that came with it’, usually a sound argument, it may have had a bit of a rough life from new, and so is not as pristine as it was, so always try a new one.

If it’s the device at either end, that is trickier to spot, as it involves swapping devices. Also trickier to fix 😢

But in cases like this, it’s worth remembering that the HDMI standard doesn’t support hot-plugging; you can usually get away with it, true, and you aren’t going to fry any ports if you do it, but you are supposed to connect from cold.

So if you are getting the purple screen, and it doesn’t seem to be the cable, then turn both devices right off at the mains, make sure the cable is in tight at both ends, fire up one device and let it get completely settled, and only then fire up the second device.

If you still get the issue after that, well, you’ve done your best, and you now know you have a faulty, or at least flaky, device. You still have the option of trying another HDMI port, usually on only one of the devices, if you have a spare one, or at least one whose connection you can swap with, but if you try this, do it cold again.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 39 of 40

I tried all the suggestions ie Another HDMI  cable, plugging it into another USB connection on my TV.

I was sent another  replacement box .But nothing cured the Purple Screen problem.

I now use a Manhattan Box with no problems.I do miss my BT box for its ability to record 4 programs

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 40

I had this problem with a Panasonic recorder connected to a Samsung TV. I tried all the usual fixes, but the purple screen kept coming back. In the end I decided that the TV was at fault, so I got rid of the Samsung and replaced it with a Sony. I haven't had the problem since.

Edit. I should have said. Our Youview box connected to the Samsung TV didn't have the purple screen problem.