Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 49

Re: Do i have to return BT Youview box?

Go to solution

Hi,

Quick Update .......

I've just received my latest bill which is the same as previous months. There is a box advising that I have to return equipment [My Youview box] within 60 days or I will be charged [£89]. When I dig further, I see BT have changed their wording from before. This is what it now says :-

"We made some changes to our Terms & Conditions on 13 December 2019, meaning that BT Hubs and BT TV boxes are being loaned to you. So if you joined us or have renewed your contract on or after this date, you’ll be charged for not returning equipment to us. You’ll have 60 days to return it from the date you stopped using it before we charge you.".

This is different to the advice given here in earlier posts and also what was on the BT website before.

It looks like I have no option but to return it or pay the large amount being asked for a 6 year old box !

Regards,

Trev012

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 49

Go to solution

It has always stated that in the T and Cs.

However as previously mentioned if you had the box prior to 13.12.19 it is yours to keep.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 49

Go to solution

Hi gg30340,

Thanks for your reply.

However, the change of wording from BT makes me realise I will have to return it. I have had the box since 2016 but I have the same box with a new "contract" by removing BT Sport in 2019 so they say it has to be returned. This is completely different to their wording several months ago.

If that is the case [Though extremely disappointed] I will just have to return it and buy myself a different box from another source.

Trev012

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 49

Go to solution

The wording has NOT changed since BT decided to charge customers. It has always stated what you highlighted in red but you do not need to return it if you received the box prior to Dec 2019. this has been confirmed by a moderator on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 49

Go to solution

Typical BT half-arsesery I'm afraid. Now what they should be saying is that if you received new equipment as part of recontracting after that date, then it has to be returned. Clearly if you had disposed of any equipment that was yours to keep prior to the change in T&Cs, you wouldn't be able to return. Nor can BT retrospectively change the T&Cs that were in force at the time you originally received the kit.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 49

Go to solution

Yeah, it's simply not true and beyond their power. You bought the box as part of your original contract. It is yours. They can't suddenly say "oh, this box that you own is being loaned to us". That applies only to new equipment that they loan, as part of a contract after that date - for example, for a TV Box Pro required to access a 4K subscription.

To put this into context: BT has recycling goals, but they also realized that for a lot of people, having an existing box that can record Freeview means most don't actually need the TV service. So they started loaning them instead. This probably also means they can capitalize and depreciate the boxes which is better for them than a one-time expense.

Example: We have a BT TV Humax DTR-T2100 box and we were asked to return it at the end of a contract, but we said "no, actually we own this box, it was sold to us outright at the time", and that was accepted. We left BT, at which point after resetting the old BT TV box it worked as an unbranded YouView box. We rejoined BT TV a few years later, and now have one BT TV Box Pro, which is on loan. Both of them now work as BT TV boxes and can record shows, but only one of them can access subscription channels at a time, as that is what our NOW/Netflix plan allows. If we were to leave BT TV, we would need to return the Pro box, but the other one is ours until it breaks or we sell it.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 49

Go to solution

Hi @Trev012 and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're getting a message asking you to return the box. I can sort this out for you. I'll drop you over a private message now so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 49

Go to solution

Many thanks DavidM,

I have replied via private message to you.

Regards,

Trev012

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 49

Go to solution

Thanks GreenReaper,

Information much appreciated.

Regards,

Trev012

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 49

Go to solution

Hi DavidM, im having the same problem any chance you could get this sorted for me?

i first received my box in 2015 and have never had a replacement box since but am still getting told i need to return my bt tv box

0 Ratings