cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Remote connection

I have taken over a BT tv box and at first it worked fine, but now the remote will only sporadically work on both TVs, sometimes it works on both other times it will only work on the one in the lounge, I’ve disconnected the box and reconnected the remote and sometimes that fixes the problem but recently it’s not been helping, I don’t know much about them so not sure if I’m doing something wrong or missing something? The box also sometimes turns itself off, this was never a problem till the last week, it was working fine on all TVs before hand! 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Remote connection

Hi @Amy31 welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Are you trying to use the same BT TV remote on different BT TV boxes and TV's? 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

There’s one box connected to all TVs but I only use two of the TVs and there’s one remote, it’s been working fine up till this week when it’s just pot luck if it’ll work 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

@Amy31 

Check the batteries. If you have a battery tester, you should be looking at over 1.39 volts for each.

If you haven’t got a tester, just try some new ones, and see if that fixes it.

Remotes for YouView boxes before the Pro box will work any YouView box in range, something that can be both a blessing and a curse, depending on circumstances.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

One box connected to multiple TVs? What are you using for this connection?
Also, which box do you have? https://www.bt.com/help/tv/learn-about-tv/bt-tv-boxes
If it's the Pro or the Mini then the remote will adapt to the TV that it's connected to, but I don't know how well it can adapt if your box is connected to multiple (e.g. via a splitter).
If it's an older box (or the older remote) then you manually programme it for the TV you want to control, and it stays on that.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

It’s the pro, it’s connected via a Matrix box, i have no idea! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

In which case, there's not really much that can be done about that I'm afraid. It's not a supported scenario.
If your matrix box supports IR then you could buy a couple of the older remotes[1] and set one up for each TV.
Or you could try resetting the remote each time[2] but if you're not in line of sight (or don't have IR support) to the box I don't know if the pairing will work.

[1] https://store.ee.co.uk/products/bt-youview--remote-control-080440-9CYZ.html
[2] https://www.bt.com/help/tv/fix-a-problem/remote/which-remote-do-you-have/resetting-your-remote-contr...
Message 8 of 19

Okay thank you!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

@Amy31 

Is there anybody there with you who understands your setup? What is the make and model of this matrix box, and what is the make and model of each TV?

And do I take it that up until last week you had an older YouView box in the setup, but you have now swapped in a Pro box, possibly one not on a BT TV subscription?

Presumably, you switch the matrix box to the TV you wish to control, and that routes the HDMI pathway from the YouView box to the TV, and you are hoping to control the TV you have linked to with the YouView remote?

And I am not sure if these TVs are in line of sight, or in different rooms, or what? Or if there are any IR repeaters in the setup?

But there are two separate issues here. Taking the pre-Pro YouView boxes with their more traditional IR remotes, you had to set the remote to work with the particular make of TV you were using it on. So your matrix setup with a single IR remote would work over two TVs if they were the same make, but not if they were different makes.

The Pro box sets its remote up a little differently, interrogating the TV it is connected to over the HDMI cable, to find out what make it is, setting the remote accordingly, and also pairing the remote to the Pro box, so that that is the only YouView box it will work.

But in your setup, if that worked with an earlier YouView box, I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with a Pro box. Unless maybe Pro boxes collect some unique Id from the TV they interrogate, as well as just the make, with the intention of pairing the remote with that individual TV? In which case, it would then no longer work a second TV even of the same make.

I know BT are saying above that what you are doing isn’t supported (and I don’t blame them!) but if you can explain a bit more about where these TVs are, where the YouView box is, how they are all connected together, and -most important of all - what it is you are trying to do, rather than how you are trying to do it, there may be some advice your fellow members, like me, can offer.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Hi no, it’s always been a BT pro no other box, sadly no, they are out of country but it is sporadically working just takes some time, TVs are Panasonic and Samsung, I have had them both working this week but I don’t know how but not as easy as they were last week when I could just use the remote as normal as has been for a few years 

0 Ratings