cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

TV not working with a Synology RT2600AC router and MR2200ac mesh

Go to solution

Hey there,

I've recently switched from Sky TV to EE. The internet connection itself is working fine (via a Vigor 130 modem), but I'm having real issues getting the TV to work. I understand EE doesn't provide support for 3rd party routers, but this mesh network I have was obviously quite expensive to set up, so I'd really rather keep it!

The EE TV box is successfully connected to the WiFi; however, it doesn't play any content and shows a IPC6023 error. My research suggests this may be because it requires multicast, which hasn't been enabled properly on the network, or something to that effect.

What I have tried so far is:

Enabling IGMP snooping
Enabling IGMP proxy
Setting IGMP version to 3

2024-09-19 13 33 59.png

However, none of these have worked. I'm wondering if I should be setting anything on this page?

2024-09-19 13 32 36.png

 Any help is much appreciated! Thanks a lot

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: TV not working with a Synology RT2600AC router and MR2200ac mesh

Go to solution

@1231231231 

Your first step is to temporarily swap the supplied BT router in and see if that works.

If not (and it happens rather often) you can get BT support to get it working.

Once you know it’s working, if it didn’t work straight away, you can try your preferred setup again.

If still no go, @naylor2006 is our resident router masochist….

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@Midnight_Voice here we go again, I cant keep sending routers to people 🤣.....there's no more ER-X's in stock at the moment!

@1231231231 firstly, please use the BT SH with the EETV box wired to it to ensure it is working first. On numerous occasions the activation of EETV just hasnt happened, once you know it works with the stock router then you can go ahead try your own...and when you try your own use ethernet first between the EETV and router. 

I wouldnt use WIFI to start with, its hard enough getting it to work on the router in the first place let alone then over WIFI, snooping can help with that, your millage may vary.

For the most part you only need an IGMP Proxy to pickup the multicast packets and pass them into your network....

While you confirm it works with the stock router.....ill have a look at your Synology Manual....

To add to this there are various challenges that seem to effect some people and not others, some routers dont work at all and some cheaper ones just work without explanation.

I am of the opinion that IPTV should have its own LAN or VLAN to keep it off your main network. I always configure my IPTV Network separate on a singular interface on the router and use the IGMP proxy to send all traffic there, therefore not into my main network. Snooping itself in that scenario becomes less a concern if at all, you arent flooding your network, all the packets for TV are going to the very thing that wants it.

Ive already seen in the Synology forums that you can indeed setup something like this, IE a separate network for it.

One of the main challenges with IGMP Proxy is that it needs an interface at either end to pickup multicast and pass to the other, WAN -> LAN, the problem ive seen where ISP's use PPPOE authentication. PPPOE requires its own interface which sits ontop of the parent WAN interface, the IGMP proxy has to take packets from the parent and not the PPPOE interface, if you cannot set this manually like you can on an ER-X for example or similar grade router, then the IGMP proxy looks at the PPPOE interface automatically and finds no TV traffic to forward. Just depends on how the router is set by the manufacturer. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hey there @1231231231.

Welcome to the BT Community forums!

Is it a BT or EE account that you have with us for your broadband?

I can see you've posted the same query over on the EE Community, so if it's an EE plan then it may be best to continue things over there 😊

Peter

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Thank you @Midnight_Voice and for the detailed reply @naylor2006. I can confirm that (unfortunately I guess) the TV is working fine with the stock router. My TV and router unfortunately aren't in the same room, so it's going to be difficult to try to get them on Ethernet, but will try to think of something!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I think in the short term as a test....take a small computer monitor or something like that to the router, connect up the EETV box and see if you can get it working via the recommended settings from Synology.

As much as I dont recommend WIFI for Multicast TV anyway....you'll need to ensure the IGMP proxy is working first before attempting to get WIFI working.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@1231231231 

You might need to look at the wifi settings for the router and the mesh system to ensure that IGMP Snooping and multicast are set up there.

I might be talking out of my a**e though 😊

Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Unfortunately wiring it in directly had no change! I even tried setting the port as a dedicated IPTV port on the router (screenshot below) but that had no effect either.

1231231231_0-1726772925933.png

On the WiFi front, I updated the firmware on the router to be the latest and greatest.  I made a new SSID for the box and kept IGMP proxy and snooping enabled (as in above screenshot). Also ensured that multicast was enabled:

1231231231_1-1726773188976.png

Still no dice :S.

Thanks for all help so far - any further ideas?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

When you connected  the BT Hub, was  that via the Vigor or using it's own modem?

If the latter & it's a SH2 with a  WAN port, maybe try the Vigor into that to ensure the Vigor is passing the multicast packets to the router. This suggests the Vigor needs to be in bridge mode.

Or if you still have an Openreach modem kicking around, try that with the Synology.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Has this router got a CLI you can SSH into and check if the Proxy is working?

Not seeing much success with 3rd party routers and EE Multicast TV of late.

Understanding the technical workings of it from setting it up manually on an ER-X, it doesn’t surprise me that any router that sets up IGMP related settings via a GUI where you don’t know the backend of it are not working.

0 Ratings