cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 71 of 92

Re: Email not synching on Android phone - NOT just GMAIL related

Go to solution

@patwestlake wrote:

This is not isolated to Gmail. iPhones/iPads/PCs still work. This is how BT currently works (or doesn't) with Android.

I have tested this with various email clients and the only thing that works is outlook on a PC or webmail. My Android phone is now useless for emails.

It not the cache, not the application (tried numerous, all the same - headers and notifications but no content)

Something changed last week, so it should not be beyond whit of man/woman to identify the change and fix it - and I say this as a programmer.... 

Pat

I use an Android phone and an Android tablet (both Samsung) using Bluemail app on one and Aquamail app on the other and I have absolutely no problems with any of my email accounts that are with multiple email services, including BT and gmail so perhaps as "a programmer" you could explain how this is a BT problem and not a gmail problem or perhaps the Android operating system on your devices.

0 Ratings
Message 72 of 92

Go to solution

I never said it was a BT problem. What I said (re-read?) was that it was about how BT mail was/wasn't working with Android.  But applying some really basic troubleshooting;

If it isn't at the BT end, why aren't they saying that? Very little posted from them other than we are working on it... Hardly constructive in helping people check out/rule out basic settings issues 

If it was Gmail, why is this only affecting BT Internet accounts - lots of posts here saying their other providers emails work no problem with Gmail - but not BT. 

The programmer comment relates to pre-testing and rolling out of code which I do very frequently in an industrial setting. You always retain the ability to roll-back, so I would be looking at what was changed last week.

0 Ratings
Message 73 of 92

Go to solution

By posting on this forum that would tend to indicate that you feel it is a BT problem or have you also posted on Android forum or your phone's manufactures forum or the forums of email apps that you have found do not work on your device. 

I would have thought that basic trouble shooting would also have tried to find out if it is with any particular phone brand or Android operating system etc.

As regards "if it was gmail why is this only affecting BT Internet accounts" .  I have no idea if it is only affecting BT accounts  as I have not checked other email service providers to see if it is affecting them nor did I state it was a gmail problem.

I posted to point out that if it is a BT problem that it is not a problem affecting every person who uses Android and BT or gmail. 

0 Ratings
Message 74 of 92

Go to solution

@patwestlake  Have you read the whole thread?

0 Ratings
Message 75 of 92

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to everyone that has posted. I'm sorry if you've been experiencing issues using your BT Internet email address with the Gmail App.

We don't believe the issue is at our end. I have had a look at the Google Community and the issue seem to be affecting a number of other email domains as well.

Thanks,

Paddy

Message 76 of 92

Go to solution

Anyway, on with the troubleshooting. Having unsuccessfully tried to solve it by deleting and re-installing bluemail (and edison), I decided that the issue must be deeper than just the standard app settings. As my phone saves and caches whatever it can to the SD card, I have deleted blue mail and all other mail apps, cleared caches, and removed all shreds of their being from any and every setting I could find (me.bluemail.mail). Power cycle, then go searching again. Re-power cycle, reloaded blue mail (build 22065-5156) and checked all settings vs BT POP3 suggested rather than take defaults - changed incoming security to SSL/TLS  (not STARTTLS) rather than "automatic".

Restart again and it now syncs. Forwarded a message which others have suggested breaks a fix via re-load), and so far so good. I can only assume that either a certificate has updated at one end or the other (google/BT) or that one of the auto settings has fallen foul of an update

Hopefully this is of use to someone in their own investigations. 

Pat

0 Ratings
Message 77 of 92

Go to solution

@licquorice  Yes.

0 Ratings
Message 78 of 92

Go to solution

Hi guys - no need to fall out 🙂

What we know is that BT emails are not being handled satisfactorily by Gmail following the last but one update around 03/08.

This does not seem to be completely resolved by any of the fixes so far suggested and that different users experience different outcomes for different periods of time.

We are told that this affects other email providers but all I can test is Gmail, BT and outlook.

The posts on here are to flag up the issue and bring attention to it so that more informed people can sort it out. 

It seems that as we have all been impacted by the Gmail update that the issue sits between these two systems and it's probably a common API that handles the calls. 

Whether this API or the config expected in it has changed we do not know. And as such it could be either party who has caused the error. However experience tells me that if the problem is with multiple email clients then it's the application (Gmail) that is the common denominator - especially if none of the have been changed.

Pity we can't see the Devs release notes...

I have raised an entry against Gmail on the Play store and had a reply to say they are aware and investigating. I expect that a fix will be released without any fanfare.

Sit tight and no fighting in the back!!

Message 79 of 92

Go to solution

If it is an api or api-call that got updated, it appears to be common to the Android mail ecosystem, so affects apps beyond Gmail ( as in my case as I don't use it). 

0 Ratings
Message 80 of 92

Go to solution

I suspect you are experiencing the usual iffy BT mail system problems rather than the specific problem this thread relates to.

Try accessing the servers from a different IP address, 4G vice Wifi

0 Ratings