cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Unable to install bt email on my iphone

Go to solution
Unable to install bt email on my iphone11 (or 6)

I created a new btinternet email account which I can log into from a web browser. But when I try to add this to my iPhone I receive the message

"The IMAP server mail.btinternet.com doesnt support Password authentication. Please check your account settings and try again"

if I ok that dialogue box the mail app displays my smtp server details (mail address, mail.btinternet.com and password and the imap details) which are correct, but it then fails asking if I want to try without ssl . I click no to that  and save the setup.

However it fails to verify and does not setup correctly.

if I use the same steps with an old account (delete on iPhone and add again) this verified straightaway. 

Do old accounts can be deleted from the iPhone and readied but the new account won’t install. 

Has something happened whereby a new account uses a different server to old mail and cannot be setup by the same process that has always worked?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Unable to install bt email on my iphone

Go to solution

you need to delete your email address before you get more spam than you can handle bearing in mind this is a public forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

IMG_0182.jpeg

 here is the error message

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

No idea how you do it on an iPhone, but you need SSL and plain authentication. You don't need password encryption as the whole connection is encrypted.

It will probably be in the SMTP settings

Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Guide to setting up email on iPhone. (This may be an older version so your settings may be slightly different but the principal is the same)

Go to your iPhone home screen and tap Settings.

Scroll down to Passwords & Accounts>Accounts>Add Account.

Tap Add Account.

Scroll down and tap Other.

Tap Add Mail Account.

Put the name you want people to see when they get mail from you in the Name field.

Enter your username in the Address field. For example, firstname.lastname@btinternet.com

Enter your password in the Password field.

In the Description field enter the name you want to use to identify the account.

Tap Next. If you get an error message at this point, tap OK.

Make sure that IMAP is selected at the top of the screen.

In the Incoming Mail Server section, change the Host Name to mail.btinternet.com

Now enter 993 in the Server port and set SSL to on.

Then scroll down to the Outgoing Mail Server section and change the Host Name to mail.btinternet.com

Now enter 465 in the Server port and set SSL to on.

Make sure the correct username and password are entered.

Tap Save.

Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks liquorice

the ssl is set to on. In the apple mail client they don’t use the word plain for password they just say password (as opposed to the other options). 

see images below 

these settings are the same for my older 5 accounts (> a year old) all of which I can delete and re-add without a problem using these settings. It just seems to be the new email account I created two days ago that fails with the message displayed in my reply earlier  

that’s why I wondered if the new account might be on a new set of servers that are different to where the old accounts are  located  

IMG_0186.png

IMG_0185.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks gg3040

thats the procedure I follow for adding email accounts to the iPhone client. You can see that I’ve setup the accounts just as that procedure states (see image above). 

However it works for the five old accounts but not for the new account I set up in the last few days. 

the new account works using a web browser but fails for the iPhone mail client. It also fails for the google mail client and the BlueMail client (both of which can add the old accounts). 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

If you are connecting via wifi try connecting via 4g or vice versa. You will then probably access a different mail server.

As it is a new account it may not have been populated on all the servers yet.

Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

I presume you are a BT Broadband customer and you have had your "old" BTMail accounts set up prior to 26th October 2022?

Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

To liquorice 

yes. The original five accounts go back from 2018 to 1990 odd when talk21 and bt internet first came out. 

the one I’m struggling with is only 3 days since I created it. 

0 Ratings