cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

I use Mozilla Thunderbird version 78

I can receive e-mails but unable to send e-mails.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: e-mail

Go to solution

Please delete your screen shot as it contains email addresses.

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account.

If neither of the above your email account will have been downgraded to a BTMail Basic account which can not be used with email clients or email apps.

See Link.

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Distinguished Sage.

Thank you for your reply.

The attachment has been deleted.

Yes, I have BT phone and broadband for along time.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Can you try sending from your BTMail account by logging on to your email account using a web browser (webmail)?

Can you log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Products" then "Email, Manage" and at the top of the page it should show "Account Type". What is it showing?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Distinguished Sage.

Thank you for your message.

Account Type shows Standard with a ? after it.

I hope that makes sense.

Jed1

I'm now going to watch the Ospreys v Perpignan, see after the game.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

That is the account type you should have. The ? is clickable and opens a new page that explains about the different email products.

Were you previously able to send emails or has the problem just started?

You have not said if you can send emails using webmail rather than using T'bird.

Have you checked the account settings in T'bird to ensure it has the correct settings as per this link.

BT Email server settings | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Distinguished Sage.

Thank you for your e-mail.

1 I have been using T'bird/BT mail account since 2017 with no problems. T'bird recently updated to version 78  has       that caused the problem. 

2 I have just sent a test message to myself using webmail and it worked !!! why.

3 In  T'bird account/settings  - outgoing (server SMTP)

Do I now have to use webmail from now on, if that is the case, fine.

JED1 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

There is no requirement to use webmail unless you choose to.

T'bird should work but as you may be aware your version is a very old version. The latest version is V115.6.1 so it would be worth updating it.

To do that open T'bird and go to "Help" in the menu bar and scroll down to  "About Thunderbird" . When it opens it should automatically trigger a search for updates.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Distinguish Sage.

Thank you for your reply.

I have the latest version of T'bird  V115.6.1 and am able to send and receive e-mails via webmail, so that is ok.

However, I'm intrigued as to why I cant send  e-mails the way I used to, when I try to send, there is a lock with a red line through it, and when I try to save the test message, I get an error message referencing a key on my keyring (I have rubbed out the key No. just in case its not safe to include it) There is no problem receiving e-mails.

Sorry to being a nuisance.

JED1ThunderBird 2.jpg

ThunderBird 3.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

There is apparently a bug in the V78.2.1 version of T'bird which has the OpenPGP Key, which is end to end  encryption of email messages, that may be causing your fault.

If you open T'bird then go to Tools > Settings > Privacy and Security > Automatic Use of Encryption and if this box is ticked, untick it.

0 Ratings