cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

3rd party router connection to BT SH2

Go to solution

Hi there, apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere on the forum.  I switched over to BT Broadband + Digital Voice last week.  The broadband works fine on my existing infrastructure (Draytek Vigor 130 modem -> TP Link Omada ER605 router) with the router WAN settings in PPPoE mode.

However in order to get the digital voice working I have gathered from, previous threads, that the BT Smart Hub2 needs to be the connected directly to the ONT.  I would like to keep my ER605 router as the DHCP server (as i can manage it remotely via the Omada SDN controller) and thus have everything else on the network connected to the ER605 LAN ports.

Following this, my plan was to then connect the ER605 router WAN port to LAN port 1 of the BT Smart Hub2 and disable DHCP and all wireless on the BT SH2. 

The problem i have is that the BT SH2 is unable to "see" the ER605 router as a device on the network.  I have played around with the ER605 WAN config (tried dynamic IP instead of PPPoE) but this seems to make no difference.  The slightly odd thing is that if I connect it, I can no longer access the BT SH2 on 192.168.1.154

I read another thread which suggested I need to assign a static IP address (presumably in the ER605 WAN config) but not 100% sure if this is the case in my situation. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: 3rd party router connection to BT SH2

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Give the WAN port a static IP address of 192.168.1.10 and Gateway 192.168.1.254 turn off DHCP on the hub. The BT hub deals with the PPPoE session.

The TP Link LAN needs to be a different subnet, e.g 192.168.2.xxxx

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
apologies for delay in replyiang / thanks for the above. It works with a slight tweak; the 3rd party router needs to be in Dynamic IP mode for reasons i cannot fathom but assigning a fixed IP address and using the DMZ forwarding in SH2 all is dandy
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @woganator, thanks for posting back to confirm you got this resolved.

cheers

John

0 Ratings