cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: BT 4600 Handsets - Do Not Disturb

Forgot to add  original problem late night / middle of night phone rings - just one ring.

Someone has mentioned BT do regular night time testing -  called   Night Routing 

Can this cause someone's phone to ring just the once ?  

Can BT clarify what this is and why they perform these tests and the Known side affects hence can this cause a customers phone to ring just the once,  Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

I do not use that feature, so I am not sure.

This is a similar thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/BT4600-not-allowing-VIP-numbers-to-come-through-directly...

I assume you have checked caller display.

According to the manual, it should let VIP calls through.

Its important that all phone book entries have the full national dialling code entered, and no local short numbers, otherwise a number match would not happen when an incoming call comes in.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

I was not aware that BT still do overnight routine line testing, but it may depend on the exchange.

If its a problem, then it may be possible to ask for their number to be missed off the routine.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Thanks for all the advice / tips, much appreciated.

Unfortunately still getting a single ring late at night -  We have setup certain VIP numbers  

DND Do not disturb is setup by BT .....   after 22:00 Hrs   VIP calls get through as they should.

Strange I  rang Dad after 22:00 Hrs   with an unknown mobile -  phone did not ring - Great BUT left a voice message from unknown mobile  ( I assumed DND  would not have allowed this to happen )  

22:15 Dad tried 1571 no messages available hence where did the message from the unknown mobile go to ???

As I rang from unknown mobile and was able to leave a message - yet  BT 1571 does not save / list this message. 

Is this message left somewhere - unanswered and hence generating a ring to notify message waiting to be answered ?

DO not disturb IMO should do exactly what is states - ignore calls AND do not accept any messages OR else the message may cause phone to beep !  

Why does 1571 not list this unknown message ?      

Why would BT allow a DND - unknown caller to leave a message to cause a potential nuisance call  or ring late at night ???

Trying to help to assist and find a resolution yet this seems to be difficult to resolve.

BT did admit they had a computer problem at their end yet they did not explain their findings and the fault is still present.

Is this Night Routining causing an issue ?

Is it a BT hidden voice mail somewhere causing a single ring / beep late at night.

Come on BT get this problem resolved,  thank you.  

New phones have been purchased - fault still present. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

@PJ32 

I think you are getting confused. The Do Not Disturb setting on the BT4600 has to be manually turned on and off,  so I am not sure what you mean by "DND Do not disturb is setup by BT", unless this is a different service?

That is why replacing the phones makes no difference.

With Do Not Disturb turned ON within the BT4600 settings, only callers stored as VIP numbers in the phone`s internal phone directory, with get through.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

Hi @PJ32 thanks for posting, I can appreciate the annoyance this must be causing your Dad. I haven't come across nighttime routine testing for a long time, it's not something that is meant to be done anymore but the symptoms do sound very similar to cases I used to report many years ago.

I think it would be worth asking an exchange engineer to check settings/equipment to make everything is in order with the BT network, I'll send you a private message so you can send over your Father's details.

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Thanks, this is confusing.

Yes BT do offer a separate service £4 a month to use their system Do Not Distrurb - totally different to the one on the 4600 handset which I am aware of.  

BT Block calls (  except VIP callers )  on their system they then state start time and end time for DND calls charge a monthly fee for this service.   (  So Why didn't BT say use your DND on your 4600 handset as this is free to use )  

Either way phone still rings late at night & throughout the night.  

Why would a non-VIP caller be allowed to leave a message with BT ??? 

I called ( as a test ) with a non-VIP mobile late at night I could not get through - great BUT I was then able to leave a message with BT,   Dad rings 1571 no messages left here hence where is the message stored with BT and will this generate a beep / ring as an unanswered message - strange but true.   

Dads landline has no record / history of the non-Vip mobile yet why would BT allow a message to be left on their systems to potentially cause problems later.  

I have read of Forum -   DND message waiting " Play a short ring "  when a call is Blocked -  Is this something BT are generating causing late night ringing ?    Where is this setting ?  

BT are blocking calls on their systems -  Dads 4600 Handsets are not aware of any calls as I believe BT must be intercepting these calls before handset is activated by any Unknown call when the BT DND service is active. 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

Hi
I am following your thread and wondered if you have resolved the problem? My Mum is going through exactly the same. We have had a BT engineer out to the house, lines checked, changed phones and the phone is still ringing once between 1 and 6am. If there is any advice I would be interested to hear how to stop this happening as it's causing extreme fatigue and distress.
0 Ratings