cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: BT have 'lost' my landline number..

Go to solution

Hello and thanks Neill,

Just to say, we are getting nothing in or out of the landline just now.

Which is a bit difficult because it's a bit of an important connection for my Dad to family and others.

Many thanks. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

Hello @NeilO and @DavidM

Had a 'surprise' visit from a BT engineer this morning and he seems to have fixed the 'lost landline number' saga.

So many thanks and well done for helping.

The 25 or so phone calls I had to BT beforehand were something of a test in patience I can tell you, but thanks to you both for getting it sorted.

Regards - Faldo. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

Its possible that your final issue wasn’t actually anything to do with number portability, there is a relatively common fault on PSTN ( System Y exchanges ) , where someone calling a number hears ‘ringtone’ in the earpiece of the instrument making the call , but the landline phone at the address being called doesn’t ‘ring’ if the handset were pickup up the call would connect, its caused by an equipment fault in the exchange not sending out ringing current to actually make the called phone ‘ring’.

If there were thought the issues were with number portability ,  that could cause the wrong things  to be looked at , ( misdiagnosis ) the fact an engineer managed to get it sorted suggests they may have moved your line from a faulty System Y line card onto an OK one, fixing the problem . 

This issue doesn’t affect DV lines ,  it’s one of the reasons why DV is necessary, as the exchanges are pretty old now and liable to issues like this , ‘bell not ringing’ is the fault ‘code’ , being a throwback to when telephones actually had a bell inside them .

Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @Faldo,

It's great to see that an engineer turned up and sorted everything out for you. I'm sorry that we weren't able to let you know about the visit in advance.

Dave will be in later tonight. Do you need any other help from him or are you happy for your case to be closed when he comes in?
Thanks,

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Hello @DanielS ,

All seems well so far, though the line is a bit noisy when you pick up to dial out.

However I'm just glad it's working to be honest.

Faldo

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

That's good @Faldo.

I'll let @DavidM know that you have been in touch too.

Thanks,

DanielS

0 Ratings