cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Being moved to Digital Voice - what are my options

So, after waiting 15 years since the announcement that FTTC would be coming to my town, BT have installed FTTP, to which I have made my order.

I will be moved over to the Digital Voice service, but this has already posed a problem before the installation has even begun.

I use my own modem/router. I won't go in to detail, but I categorically refuse to use a BT Smart Hub, because it lacks far too many options for my home network, and it even causes some things to not work because the Smart Hub has no options for certain adjustments that I can make on my own modem/router.

BT are sending out their new Alexa phone, which as I understand, needs to connect to the Smart Hub 2? So, that's a no go.

My  modem/router is upstairs, and that is where it needs to be, so that I can connect several of my pieces of hardware via ethernet. The phones are downstairs, and that set up is staying exactly as it is, no matter the situation. 

Whilst I accept that technology needs to move forward, the options being presented by BT are extremely limiting, and this Digital Voice service is going to cause a lot of headaches for those who have no idea how it all works.

What are my options in regards to staying on my own modem/router, but being able to use the digital voice service?

Cheers.

--
https://warehamwx.co.uk/
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Being moved to Digital Voice - what are my options

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

@Mapantz wrote:

What are my options in regards to staying on my own modem/router, but being able to use the digital voice service?

Cheers.

None.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Well, that sums up BT then?! 🙄

--
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

You can connect the SH2 as the gateway to BT, disable WiFI, DHCP & everything else you can & hook your current router up to it as an access point. Downside is you'll almost certainly be double NATing which may cause issues. You'd retain the use of the BT phone.

Ideally you'd do it the other way round but apparently DV requires the SH2 to be directly connected to BT.

Only other option is to look to another VOIP provider, but you'll then need an ATA for any existing analogue phones, unless your router supports DECT.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

@Mapantzwrote:

Well, that sums up BT then?! 🙄

You mean supplying & maintaining equipment that will work on the service that they can easily train staff on instead of having to spend thousands training staff across all options in case 1/1000 customers has an issue with that particular product?

Message 7 of 18

So you think it's OK that BT will switch fully to a digital service, leaving millions with problems unless they use all of their hardware?

Smart Hubs are generally useless unless you're just a typical person who prefers "plug & play".

The Smart Hub's are extremely restrictive when it comes to simple networking solutions, and why BT think this is acceptable is not right. Their hubs should have a higher level of settings to allow an experienced users to control aspects of networking, like you can on third-party hardware. It would solve a magnitude of problems!

I have always used third-party cordless phones and modem/routers without any issues. But now BT is switching to the digital service, they're basically saying you can't have a call service with us unless you conform to using our equipment - that's just ridiculous, regardless of what you say.

The restrictive nature of this means that A LOT of people are going to end up going back to the dark ages when a full switchover is made.
--
Message 8 of 18

You clearly have no idea of BT's customer base, over 90% of which I suspect have no interest whatsoever in using anything other than the simple plug and play option provided.

Digital voice provides the user with a simple interface that doesn't require soft phones or ATAs and is straightforward to use.

Nobody is stopping you using a third party VoIP provider with your third party kit.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

it is not Bt Retail who have made the decision to move to digital VOIP it is openreach.  this will affect any ISP that uses the openreach network for broadband or calls just that BT Retail are the first to start the changeover

Not that long ago customers were complaining that they needed to pay for the use of the landline for calls as they used the mobile phone instead of old landline phones.  

you just can't please everyone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

You clearly have no idea of BT's customer base, over 90% of which I suspect have no interest whatsoever in using anything other than the simple plug and play option provided

I'd like to see some hard facts that back up that statement..

Yet again, BT are screwing over long-time customers with there "Use our equipment or sod off" approach.

And yes, BT is stopping me. My upgrade to fibre includes the voice service. So why would I pay twice just to be able to make and receive phone calls? I cannot pull the voice service from the package, and vice versa.

BT are going get a lot of backlash when they make a full switchover, there's no defence for their monopolising ways. NOBODY should be forced to use hardware from the provider, especially if you want to be able to make phone calls in the future. The reply of "Nobody is stopping you using a third party VoIP provider" is a typical answer because they know there is no other way to defend such restrictive stupidity.

--