cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Digital Voice Quality Issues (and beeping)

Hiya

I have recently(last month) been switched to Digital Voice and it's not working well. Call break up badly and people complain they cannot hear me. There also seems to be an irritating beeping which may be associated with the poor quality.

I have the latest BT Smart Hub router (Sep 2022) and two of the Essential Digital Voice HD handsets. All equipment is bang up to date with firmware.

My router is in the loft and my problems occur one floor below and about 25m away, I have a hard wired ethernet network and there is a Ubiquity Wireless access point right beside the phone. My internet speed is good with 60mb down , 12mb up and a ping around 10

Ive done a fair bit of debugging which is listed below together with most of my finding so far.

• Rebooting Smart Hub (including factory reset) - no difference
  • Re-pairing handsets with Smart Hub (using WPS button) - no difference
  • Resetting handsets - no difference
  • Beeping is not 1571 as alerts are switched off (it may be an "out of range" error-  cant find documented anywhere)
  • Call quality (poor-terrible) is very dependent on exactly where I stand.

I'm not 100% sure exactly how the BT DV system works but am assuming that after pairing the digital handsets with the router that they can connect to any wireless access point? As mentioned the Ubiquity wireless point is right beside where the phone is being used.

My suspicion is that there IS a problem connecting through the Ubiquity wireless router or a setting on it needs changing. Sadly, I am not expert enough with the whole system to debug any further.

Any DV experts out there who can help?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Digital Voice Quality Issues (and beeping)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

The handsets are DECT not WiFi. I would guess that the both issues are indeed lack of range.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Hiya.

Thanks for this  🙂

I'm sure you are correct but I'm not even sure what DECT is? I assume it's a means of connecting the handsets to the router itself?

I'd assumed that with the digital handsets they became devices on my internal network - seems a shame if this is not the method.

If you can educate me further it would be greatly appreciated as it does make sense with what I'm experiencing  😞

is there anything I can do to improve the situation?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

The DV handsets are DECT (DECT phone frequency Information. (panasonic.eu) not Wi-Fi so they won't connect to your ubiquity router and 25 meters does seem a little ambitious for a phone operating on 1.9 Ghz with a full strength 2.4 Ghz signal right alongside it. It could be that the filters in the ubiquity have gone faulty allowing it to generate noise in the DECT band.

Message 6 of 20

Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications is the method all modern cordless phones use to communicate with their bases.

Unfortunately BT have decided not to implement support for a repeater in the SH2, so the only real option is to relocate it more centrally in the house.

If by chance you have another cordless set that may perform better if the base is plugged directly into the SH2. Or BT supply an adapter but that also relies on DECT, so would need to be within range of the SH2.

Message 7 of 20

Thanks.

This does make sense that there is interference as the call quality improves when I stand further away from the Ubiquity (which was making no sense to me until now). Ironically this is moving further away from the BT SH in the loft.

Message 8 of 20

Is the repeater you mean the line-extender type device you can plug into a mains socket? Or am I mixing things up?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Just for test purposes, try powering the ubiquity down and see if that resolves the problem. If it does then that would suggest that it is breaking through into the DECT band

Message 10 of 20

Depends what you're thinking of. Probably easiest to Google DECT repeater. But as I said, it's of no use with the SH2.

This is the BT Adapter that allows another phone to be connected by DECT.

But what you describe supports @Les-Gibson's notion that the WAP could be interfering with the DECT, as both use 2.4GHz. So relocating that may help or if practical, try switching off 2.4GHz.