cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Digital Voice Vs “old” land line

Go to solution

Hi all, 

I’ve just moved into a house that had recently been moved from the old landline onto Digital Voice.  

Every room in the house had a phone socket attached externally to the wall which I have been removing along with the wiring, I’ve had no issues until I removed one and the wires sparked on my pliers suggesting there was still a current passing through them, is this normal for a phone line that’s been disconnected? 

As I now only rely on the one master socket where my router is plugged in is it safe to assume the the old master socket in my house is now redundant and can be removed/covered over? (Previous house owners had an extension built and moved the master socket) or is it likely the old master would have been rerouted to the new extension? The old master has numerous loose wires that aren’t connected to anything and two that are (blue and what looks like a off yellow). 

I haven’t had any service issues with any of the wires I’ve removed so far. 

Apologies if this question has been posted before, I had a scroll through and couldn’t find anything. 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Digital Voice Vs “old” land line

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Digital Voice can be supplied by FTTC and hence copper master socket still required or by FTTP (full fibre) in which case the copper master socket is not required. Which service do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi thanks for the reply. I have Halo 3 so assuming fibre? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Halo is just a benefits add on, not a technology. Does your hub plug into the master socket or a white ONT (Openreach modem)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@Josh235 

As @licquorice  has said but thought I would give you some pictures to help:

A) Master (NTE) Socket

MK4 Master Socket 5C.jpg

B) ONT

300px-Fttp-ont-pon.jpg

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Ahhhh makes sense, thank you both. 

I have the Master (NTE) Socket. 

The other master socket that i mentioned in the OP is a NTE5a. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Sorry,  I missed where you said your router was plugged into a master socket.

There shouldn't be 2 master sockets, but people sometimes use a master as an extension socket. Anything beyond the socket where the external line comes in can be removed.

I guess Openreach have just left the old unused analogue phone connection in situ hence the 50V

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

I can only assume the old master socket that isn’t being used is the original one, pre extension. Having done some more digging into it I’m happy to remove this one as all the cables coming out of it had already been cut by a previous owner and hidden in the wall. 

what is confusing me though is the line that I mentioned was sparking goes into the extension and looks as if if goes to the in use master socket, presumably there would have been an old NTE socket there pre digital voice installation hence the power still going to it? Is this safe to just cut back and hide in the wall or do I need to get someone out and have a look at the Socket to have it removed safely? 

thanks for all your help so far! 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

The wires that are sparking would have originally carried the phone line and broadband. It will still be carrying the broadband so don't cut it.

You really need to investigate how the wiring is all connected together and identify the incoming external cable.

0 Ratings