cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital Voice & DECT.

Go to solution

I am going to be changed to Digital Voice soon but am completely confused as BT does not explain things well.

I have read what I can find but remain confused.

I currently have BT Internet and a Smart hub 2 but currently have a Panasonic DECT  phone base station and 2 more extensions as well as my sky phone connection.

My Panasonic base station is plugged into am extension socket in a convenient position for me to use the built in answerphone that I want to continue to use in the current place.  The hub is elsewhere and plugged directly into BT master socket, with no filters.

My Panasonic base station has more than 100 saved phone numbers.

1. How can I keep my existing arrangement without losing stored numbers, with all existing extensions and sky socket still working?

2) If I reluctantly move my Panasonic base unit and plug it into the hub will my existing wireless extensions still work and all my stored numbers be retained?

3) What equipment can I get BT to provide free and how exactly does an adapter or Digital Voice home phone work.

4) Would I need an adapter for each extension or just the base unit?

5) Surely as this changeover is driven by the telecoms company, not government, why should I be forced to change the convenient arrangement I have.

Like myself there must be thousands of over 75 year olds who are being forced into this with no real explanation or help.

Grateful for answers please as I must retain my phone in a convenient location and all my stored numbers.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital Voice & DECT.

Go to solution

@philmcleod 

All you need is a single BT Digital Voice Adapter. Plug that in near to where your existing Panasonic base station is, and simply plug the phone connection from the base station, into the socket on the Digital Voice adapter. Its as simple as that.

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/digital-voice/digital-voice-adapter

The changeover affects all providers.

This two page article may help to explain it. https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

Another helpful thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Help-with-setting-up-digital-voice-telephon...

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for reply.

So if I understand correctly then with an adapter nothing is plugged directly into the Digital Voice socket on the hub.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@philmcleod wrote:

Thanks for reply.

So if I understand correctly then with an adapter nothing is plugged directly into the Digital Voice socket on the hub.

That is correct, but you can still use the socket on the hub as well, if you want.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Sorry to labour this, but if socket on hub was used as well presumably  that would just be an alternative for the base unit instead of using the adapter.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@philmcleod wrote:

Sorry to labour this, but if socket on hub was used as well presumably  that would just be an alternative for the base unit instead of using the adapter.

Yes.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for explanations

0 Ratings