cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital Voice

Go to solution

Been advised I’m being moved over to Digital Voice next week and need a couple of questions answered by the Hive Mind thanks

1) Is it compulsory?

2) I currently use a Netgear Nighthawk Router for all NAT routing, is it possible if I have to start using Digital Voice to connect the BT Smart Hub 2 in some form of Bridge Mode and just add it to my existing setup which works to my liking to allow me to use the BT service?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital Voice

Go to solution

1. You may be able to fend it off for a short while if you have special needs (medical etc) but the copper network is being retired so ultimately; Yes.

2. No

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

To use BT Digital Voice the Smarthub2 has to be the first in the chain. 

See this thread that might assist you rather than repeating what has already been asked and answered.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/td-p/20...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

In short.

Cant be done.

Long answer.

For digital voice SH2 has to come 1st, as you cannot turn off DHCP on SH2 you will end up with double NATing.

You could setup a DMZ to the 2nd router, and turn off DHCP on that so SH2 does NATing and Digital Voice and 2nd Router does everything else.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@JonMace 

You can turn off DHCP on the SH2, (My Network [IPv4 configuration tab])

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@JonMace You will still be double natting even if you turn off DHCP if you connect 2 routers together LAN port to WAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks did not look there