cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 31

Re: Digital Voice

@WeeMalky1wrote:
How can I relocate the hub when it is pluged into the openreach box and the full fibre box ?

See my edit above.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 31

With a longer Ethernet cable, you can site the hub up to 100 metres from the ONT.

Message 23 of 31

Unfortunately new does not always mean better.  I suppose BT had to provide the incentive of a free phone (I thought you could get two free basic phones?) to persuade people to accept DV, especially if their old phone socket was remote from the socket on the SH2.

For many people, its better to just use the SH2 socket, with a basic wired phone, or a DECT base unit.

Message 24 of 31

Not related to the OP, but I assume that one advantage of FTTC (as opposed to faster FTTP) is that the hub can be plugged into any extension socket that's been 'livened up'? This will be important for my parents when their PSTN is switched off, as they don't have a mains electricity power point near the master socket (house built before cordless phones and answering machines were a thing!).

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 31

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Unfortunately new does not always mean better.

Seems to me that Openreach are improving the internet at the expense of the telephone service. As more people use the internet now than a landline telephone, I suppose that's considered an acceptable trade off.

Mind you, surely satellite voice and data is the future? No need for cables, other than in the customer's own house, or street cabinets.

I wonder how many jobs will be lost when all the exchanges close? It's very sad.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 31

I wonder how many jobs will be lost when all the exchanges close?

@Tim123 Most exchanges have no permanent staff, its been like that for a very long time. They will get visits from Openreach Frames and External network Technicians to do work on the frame.

Unless there is a major issue with the PSTN equipment, nobody will be doing anything on that, as there is plenty of unused capacity to migrate faulty equipment ports onto spares, this is a very simple process.

Exchanges that have core network elements are likely to be there forever, but you can say goodbye to the small rural exchanges with small PSTN switches, and no other equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 31

Interesting. There are usually several Openreach vans outside mine so I assumed they must use it as a base or office.

The unused capacity is also a surprise, as I thought the exchange equipment is now 'past it'.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 31

It will just be a signing on location and parking for their vans.

Past it and spare capacity are not mutually exclusive.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 31

Anyway...could someone please answer my question in message 24?

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 31

Digressing slightly, since many people now use mobile phones, the demand for a physically wired connection has plummeted. In most cases now, there is lots of unused equipment to cannibalise for spares, as repairs would be costly, even if you could find a company to do them.

Anyway, we are getting a bit off topic now, as DV is the future, so lets leave it like that.

Read this two page website.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

0 Ratings