cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Digital Voice

My mother received a letter about the new digital service..

1.. my mother has early stage dementia

2..Has no broadband or need for broadband 

3.. requires a olug in phone not hand held she can’t replace hand held properly on stand as  battery runs out becomes anxious with the peeping  and family can’t contact her!

4.. Her plug phone just now has  extra big numbers and 2 Buttons coloured red to press in an emergency. She works this perfectly.. 

5.. has no mobile

6.. has community alarm

She would not be able to change what she is all set up for.  Is BT making any exceptions for people like my mum and not going digital?  Or do other companies such as sky provide landline service without digital for elderly?

BT or anyone help me out ?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Digital Voice

You should contact BT on 0330 123 4150 to advise them of your mum's condition if you haven't already done so and also ask to be set up as her Account Manager.  Also contact the company which supplies the community alarm service to check what it is doing about upgrading its equipment (free of charge) as part of upgrade of the UK telephone network.

BT has recently said that it won’t be proactively switch customers to Digital Voice who fall under any of the below criteria, where they have this information available:

• Customers with a healthcare pendant
  • Customers who are over 70
  • Customers who only use landlines
  • Customers with no mobile signal
  • Customers who have disclosed any additional needs

and that these customers will be delayed from switching as work continues to make sure they have the most suitable options and support available to make the move.

The reality is that your mum will still be able make and receive calls using the phone that she has now.  There no need to even consider switching provider.  She won't be cut off or lose her landline service. 

Make those calls as soon as possible and certainly don't believe any of the scaremongering rubbish you may hear or read about vulnerable people being totally abandoned by BT.

RIC9380

Message 3 of 4

Hi

thank you eventually got through to BT who advised although receiving these letters about the change. The change is not happening in my mother’s area until at least 2026!  So panic over gives me time to see where mum is at in 2 years !
progress technology is inevitable I know but it is an extreme worry for any sort of change in someone peoples life who do not need it just cause others do ! 
thank you for your response 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

You're very welcome. Honestly, don't stress. Just make those calls now as I've suggested so that when the switch to DV eventually happens in your area your mum will continue to use her landline phone exactly as she always has done. It's a change but, if you manage it right, she'll not notice anything different and things will continue as if nothing ever actually happened.
RIC9380