cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Digital Voice

I am transitioning to digital voice and have received my new Smart Hub 2. The instructions suggest connecting it to a single wall socket through a filter, which I don't have. Additionally, the password for my Smart Hub 2 differs from my current hub, implying I would need to update the password on all my internet-connected devices. This is inconvenient and time-consuming. Is there a simpler method to accomplish this? BT claims the switch is straightforward.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Digital Voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Simply change the WiFi name and password on the new hub to that of the old hub.

Just unplug the DSL lead from the old hub and plug it into the new one.

Phones connect to the green socket at the rear of the new hub and don't require a filter.

Message 4 of 10

To do that do I connect new hub tolaptop and change name and password before I disconnect old hub?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

It is inconvenient , changing the password and SSID on the new  router or changing the log in credentials on every wireless device, but that would be the same if you changed ISP or your router failed and the ISP sent a replacement, so although a inconvenience it’s a relatively minor one .
You can change the new hub details to match the old hub details before swapping out the old hub for the new one .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@Graydee Yes, connect new hub to laptop and change settings before swapping over.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

If you connect by ethernet then the WiFi connection to the old Hub should cease, so no conflict while setting up. But many modern laptops don't have ethernet. If that's the case, simply turn off the old Hub, turn on the new one & connect to it's WiFi. Make the changes, turn it off & swap it over. Everything should then reconnect as before.

Bear in mind that you can't separate the 2.4 & 5GHz bands on the SH2 if you have those split now.

Message 8 of 10

Looking at the back of the Smart hub2 there are only 3 ethernet ports and one WAN port ! on my old hub there are 4 ethernet ports which I have equipment connected to all 4, the manual says do not connect to the WAN port. How do I get round this as the 4 items I use do not have WiFi  capabilty, Why have BT reduced the number of ports? What is the WAN port for? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

The SSID /password etc is irrelevant with wired devices , ( your initial ‘complaint’ seemed to be regarding wireless access , although obviously you may have wired and wireless devices ) ….the 4th port is a switchable between a LAN and WAN , so as you don’t have FTTP you can use the 4th port as a LAN , you may need to check the router settings to ensure ‘full fibre mode’ isn’t switched on to make it a LAN port

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I have alot  of wifi devices so I have changed the id andpassword tothe sameas my old hub but Iwas asking about the 4 ports at the back as I use all 4 on the existing hub. I do not have full fibre so as you say I need to check the router settings, thanks for your help

0 Ratings