cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Digital voice line, constant engaged tone

Go to solution

I have been notified that my service has moved to digital voice and is ready for use.

Firstly, it had not switched over on the date of the email, however 2 days later the analoge line has stopped.

The phone has now been plugged into the rear of the router as per instructions, but all I hear is an engaged tone (intermittent tone).

It has been like this all day now. No other phones are connected, this is a single phone connected to the green socket on the back of the hub.

When calling from an outside line, there is a ringing tone but the phone on the digital line does not ring.

I cannot make outgoing calls because of the engaged tone.
Using the BT help / contact us, etc just leads me round in circles back to 'contact us' page, so this is my only option.

I obviously cannot call BT as the phone isn't working.

Any ideas please?

Latest home hub (broadband is ok and working)

Binatone standard phone.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Digital voice line, constant engaged tone

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Have you tried rebooting the hub to see if that helps?

Can you check hub manager and see if your number is shown and active?

Can you not use your mobile to phone CS 03301234150. Call is free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I went through the trouble shooting and tests from the BT site and it reports no faults and confirmed everthing is set up correctly.

I have rebooted the router and now I can make and receive calls, BUT it still has an engaged tone!

Does Digital Voice have a different dial tone perhaps?

I am still unable to speak to BT, just going round in circles with the contact-us. It even says that there will be a chat button pop up during working hours, (up to 10:30pm), but it doesn't.

Anyway, so now the phone is working, just the engaged tone rather than a dial tone.

Thanks again for your reply

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

@Cathprotech

Are you sure it's not telling you there's a voicemail , so call 1571 and check.

Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Now then, I think you hit on something.

I never thought of voice mail.

I just read that voice mail is activated by default on Digital Voice line, so that could explain the intermittent tone.

Brilliant, thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Firstly, thank you for the replies, problems sorted.

1st problem of not being able to make or received calls was fixed by re-booting my BT router.

2nd problem of the intermittent dial tone turned out to be messages waiting as pointed out to me.

Having never used voice mail, I was unaware that it was activated or that an intermittent tone indicated waiting messages. To me it sounded like an engaged tone.

Ironicly, the message that was waiting was to tell me I had a message waiting and to dial 1571 to listen to it and also explained the intermittent dial tone... haha

I wish BT had included those little facts in their multiple messages about changing over to digital voice.

Anyway, all sorted now.

Thanks to all here. A great help.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

It is helpful for other people to read it (I am not looking forward to digital voice as I don't like things changing but this helps as I had assumed the message waiting tone would be the same as for the service I pay BT currently for voicemail)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

It may be the same tone, but I have never used BT (or any other suppliers) message services, so I didn't know. All I knew was that it wasn't a dial tone and it sounded like an engaged tone.

Confusing for us old folk.. haha

From what I have read, the message service cannot be disabled and it recomends that if you have your own message recorder, that you set it to answer on less rings so it picks up first.

Sometimes it takes me a while to get to the phone, so I'm not keen on the idea of not having a choice. Maybe there are some settings I can adjust.

Anyway, that's going off topic.

Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

See message 4 of this thread for how to disable 1571 service