cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 43

Keeping phone extensions working with Fibre Broadband and Digital Voice

Go to solution

Hi

I have what should be a simple question but struggle to find an answer for - which I need before my upcoming contract renewal (or not).

Currently my BT socket has one line to my router and one line to a distribution box that feeds a number of extension sockets around the house. (I currently have four phones plugged into these, including a base unit for four rover phones).

This works well for me and I do not wish to lose this capability when renewing and being advised I need to go to Digital Voice (which some people have ended up with locally without proper explanation from BT who just sent the DV phone).

My question is simple (I hope) - if I renew and the copper analogue is turned off to the property can I just connect my distribution box to the router for the phone extensions keep working - unless a way to maintain the functionality of the current extensions can be guaranteed I have no interest in renewing at the moment (I realise I will need to eventually).

If any one can give any indication it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

0 Ratings
42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43

Re: Keeping phone extensions working with Fibre Broadband and Digital Voice

Go to solution

that is covered in the FAQ

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 43

Go to solution

Many thanks....

I must say this looks very complicated for what should be a simple need:-

"If it really thought necessary to use corded phones in existing extension wiring, this can be achieved if broadband service is via FTTP (Full Fibre to the home) by simply disconnecting the incoming wires from the master socket and connecting the green socket on the hub to any of the phone sockets with a cord consisting of a phone plug at each end.

This is more complicated if broadband service is still delivered via the copper pair as the incoming wires cannot be disconnected and the hub still needs to connect to the master socket. It will require a new extension socket to be fitted adjacent to the master socket and the extension wiring transferred to it. This new socket can then be connected to the green socket on the hub as with FTTP."

Yes - it is necessary to keep the distribution box and extensions working......

I read (just now) on another thread that BT can/should provide...

To enable subscribers to more easily connect their existing extension wiring into their router's VoIP/phone ports BT will be able to provide a replacement faceplate for their NTE5c sockets (your home or offices "master socket").....

Although it also talks about checking the voltage to ensure the phones ring.....

I have never had this level of detail of advice when talking to the BT sales/contract renewal people.

I appreciate your replay but I really want to know how BT will ensure they provide all the needed equipment and ensure the extensions keep working - without that assurance I will keep as I am for as long as possible.

Rod

PS - My nervousness is a BT advised a local person that things would keep on working - sent the DV - turned off the old system and now they can only use the DV - which is a major retrograde step for them.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 43

Go to solution

BT ensure that DV will work and extensions are up to you. 

As explained in the FAQ you just need to disconnect the in coming openreach wires from terminals A&B in master socket and connect the  phone cable from socket on back of hub to the phone socket on master socket. Your extensions should now work 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 43

Go to solution

Once the copper is turned off, simply connect the green socket at the rear of the hub to any of the phone sockets with a double ended phone cord.

To be absolutely sure the copper line has been disconnected, disconnect the incoming wires connected to the master

Nothing complicated about it at all

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 43

Go to solution

Thanks

I realise that BT are not interested in my extensions - but if BT change my incoming and the extensions do not work then I am very interested as BT will have screwed up my house..... and it will not work with multiple dect type phones.....

This appears why I cannot appear to get a definitive answer to a simple question.....

Many thanks for attempting - it has shown why what BT is doing can cause so many issues for people.....

Rod

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 43

Go to solution

@licquorice  and I have posted a solution to your question about maintaining working extensions and simple to achieve

Message 8 of 43

Go to solution

Thanks

I guess I was not clear the only copper BT is turning off is the phone line - the copper will still carry the FTTC connection.

From one of the other posts it appears that BT should offer to connect something like this:-

RodoRod_0-1660662089139.png

But no-one in BT has mentioned this........ Hence my question as to whether my single link to the sockets (via a distribution box) can be accommodated if I renew...... 

Just for info I do not have any, nor would I need any (they would not be used and just sit as junk), phones in the vicinity of the router, hence I do not need to plug phones into the router......

Many thanks for the reply - the replies are gradually making things clearer.

Rod

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 43

Go to solution

The definitive answer to your simple question, is that whatever you have currently will continue to work but may require effort on your part to enable it to do so.

BT will supply telephony capability to your house, how you distribute that is entirely up to you.

BT with their implementation of VoIP (Digital Voice) have in fact gone over and above what most suppliers will do and have provided a router with a built in ATA that you can simply plug any existing analogue systems into and  furthermore, they also supply a portable ATA in the form of their Digital Adapter.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 43

Go to solution

That faceplate, although the ideal solution, appears to be in short supply or not available. The workaround is to simply install a new extension socket adjacent to the master socket and transfer the extension wiring from the master to the new socket. Thus isolating your internal wiring from the external incoming line. That socket is then connected to the router's green socket.

0 Ratings