cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

Landline Number Changed without consent 24 hours ago Vunerable/Disabilty customer needs old number

Go to solution

My landline number changed without my consent or forewarning when changing to become a BT customer, urgent help is needed as all my support agencies have my number which BT changed just 24 hours ago.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: Landline Number Changed without consent 24 hours ago Vunerable/Disabilty customer needs old numb

Go to solution

@Imurray 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Which provider did you move from?

Did you ask BT to keep your old number?

Was your old number originally issued by BT Retail?

You would now be on BT Digital Voice, so is that all working?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

Re: Landline Number Changed without consent 24 hours ago Vunerable/Disabilty customer needs old numb

Go to solution

@Imurray 

BT would have provided you with a BT Smart hub 2. Can you please make sure that your phone is plugged into the phone socket on the back of BT Smart hub 2, and is not still plugged into your phone socket on the wall, as that would still give dial tone, but on a different number which cannot be used.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution

Firstly Thank You so much for your prompt and detailed reply

I have just been on the phone to BT and they say they are going to renumber me to my old number but not 100% guaranteed.

So I do not want to rock the boat at this time with any further interventions while this process is ongoing

If after the 5 to 10 days my number has not been returned I shall continue this help request

Thanks again

I Murray

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

Thank you for your prompt response

Yes the phone is plugged directly into the Smart Hub 2 I had a dialling tone this morning (24 hours later than Broadband.

BT customer services say they are going to renumber me my original number but it could take 5 to 10 days.

I shall continue with BT Community help if this does not come to fruition.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution

@Imurray 

Please keep this thread updated, because if you have any problems, a moderator can be asked to assist, as they are the only BT employees on this forum.

A renumber is normally possible, provided the original number has not been inactive for more that 28 days.

In theory, with BT Digital voice, renumbers should be a lot simpler, as they do not involve any PSTN equipment, which of course is being closed down.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution

Thank You for your advice

I do intend to keep this thread updated in case the assistance of BT Moderators is needed.

Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

@Imurray 

Thanks for this thread as we're moving from Plusnet to BT next Friday & it's prompted me to check that our landline number will ported over to BT.

I've just spoken with Plusnet & they've confirmed that they've received a porting request from BT so all should be good.

I hope you get your old number back.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

Day 8 and still no renumber even though I was told it would take 2 to 5 days usually

Another BT Community member had the same problem and was signposted to the FTTP Team 0800 587 4787

Who are they and how can they help?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 31

Go to solution

@Imurray 

Which provider did you move from, as I cannot see a reply to one of my original questions?

0 Ratings