cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Moving from TalkTalk to BT Digital Voicve

Hello,

My mum's FTTP order has failed twice apparently because TalkTalk has blocked the porting of the number back to BT/Digital Voice.

I've been told our options are to cancel the order and remain with TalkTalk or to take a new number out now and hope that the previous number can be ported at a later date (and I've also been told that there's a risk that this won't work). My mum has had this number for 50+ years and does not want to lose it.

I spoke to TalkTalk and they told me that they don't block porting and that BT needs to sort it out with them. BT now tell me that, other than the two options above, there's nothing else they can do. 

Does anyone have experience of moving from TalkTalk to BT Digital Voice (and from FTTC to FTTP at the same time) that can guide us in on this? I don't want to cancel the order or order a new number - I want to order FTTP/Digital Voice with the existing number. 

Dan

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moving from TalkTalk to BT Digital Voicve

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

@DanSimms 

Assuming her number was originally issued by BT, then BT will be the number holder.

New DV provisions are always given a new number to start with, and then you have to request a renumber to your preferred number.

Provided that number has not been inactive for 28 days, then its normally possible to get your original number back. Sometimes it need manual intervention by a moderator.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

New DV provisions are always given a new number to start with, and then you have to request a renumber to your preferred number.

DV provisions are the same as PSTN or FVA, you can include a number port when you join.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

That's my understanding too. As part of the porting process they ask for the number to bring to the Digital Voice platform. It's failed twice (the first with a different order that we were advised to cancel) so they've clearly tried. What seems strange is that TalkTalk can say 'no' and there's no ability to escalate anywhere. It's a lot smoother when porting mobile phones.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Just spoken to TalkTalk.

They say there's no record of BT being in touch to port the number over. They also say that BT needs to do the move and tell them when the account should be canceled. So we're stuck.

Dan

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@DanSimmswrote:

Just spoken to TalkTalk.

They say there's no record of BT being in touch to port the number over. They also say that BT needs to do the move and tell them when the account should be canceled. So we're stuck.

Dan

You're not stuck, there are options but depends if you're in a stop/sell Full Fibre only area.
You could try ordering just a phone line with the same number, once active BT can add broadband and a move to DV at the same time.
Another option is order FTTC with a PSTN and then upgrade later, there are other routes but these 2 are the easiest.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi @DanSimms and thanks for posting. 

If the order keeps failing because of the number port it might not be possible to get that number (worst case scenario). As @Keith_Beddoe has mentioned we could do the order and then try to post the number over once it's all connected. I'll be happy to take a look at the options for you and maybe check the failed orders for any pointers. Check your inbox for my message and drop me over a reply with the details.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

FTTC is now unavailable so that's not an option. Not sure if a new landline is an option however that feels like a crazy workaround. The number was originally with BT before it was moved to TalkTalk. I can't see why it's so hard to move it back from TalkTalk.

It would be great to hear from anyone that's moved from Talk Talk directly to FTTP/Digital Voice - this must be a well-trodden path? (I'm starting to wonder if this combination has actually been tested before).

Dan
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Just reply to @DavidM 's pm, the mods will get to the bottom of things.

0 Ratings