cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Number porting

@anneblair43 

In that case I am almost certain that the original number has been lost, based on what a moderator has said in the past.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Recover-previous-number/m-p/2268146#M87405

Can she manage with the new number?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Unfortunately she is very upset about getting a new number and  wants her old one back as she has had it since she moved into her house over 40 years ago.

I am finding it hard to understand why the time lapse criteria applies to her number as I {once Shell let me know when their service would stop,} rang BT and gave them the date. BT say that they did put in a porting order but this was unsuccessful.

{ Each time a porting order was placed I received confirmation by Email and Text and then without fail the next day I got a text message from BT asking me to contact them as they needed further details. When I rang I was told the order had failed but that they would reorder it for me. this has happened on at least 6 occasions from 15/03/23 } 

I appreciate that it is now beyond the 30 day period but surely the number could have been ported before the lapse of this time period.{ I was not advised of any problems just that the order had failed nor was I advised of a time limit in porting a number.}

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

@anneblair43 

Sorry but it not clear when you moved the lady from shell to BT di you advise Shell you were terminating contract and moving to BT or did just start a new contract with BT without advising shell?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Keith_Beddoe,

Sorry in my previous reply I should also have said that all her friends, companies and organisations,  have her old number and the fact of having to advise them that she has a new number is very daunting for her especially as she is hard of hearing.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

imjolly,

Shell were advised that the contract with them would be finishing and that a new contract was being taken out with BT. Shell were advised of this at the start of the process of moving my friends account to BT.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

@anneblair43 

That is where it went wrong.

The correct process is to place an order with BT. They then contact Shell and tell them that they are taking over the service and the number. That ensures that the number is still active when BT take over the line.

As it is, you told Shell that you wanted the connection ceased as you were moving to BT.  When that happened the number was lost and cannot be retrieved.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

Keith_Beddoe

When I was talking to BT initially about moving my friend to BT I asked them did I need to contact Shell to let them know that that BT were taking over the service, I was told that in some cases BT would get in touch with the new provider but in this instance that I was to inform Shell myself.

Based on this advice{ and what now appears to be erroneous advice} I contacted Shell 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Sorry posted my last reply too early,       meant to say that the reason BT gave me for asking me to contact Shell was that their service{ Shell's} was on the old copper wire service and the new service {BT's} would be by full fibre . I duly contacted Shell based on this advice from BT

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Not sure whether you were given the right advice, only the moderators, who are BT Employees could answer that.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Hi @anneblair43,

I am sorry to see that her number has been lost. With Shell ceasing the line before we could take over the number, it hasn't helped.

At this stage, it's highly likely that we can no longer port the number. However, I can have one of my team check over this, during the week, just in case there is anything that we can do at all to help. Again, as the number has been cancelled for over 30 days, we might not be able to get it on our Digital Voice call system.

I'm going to send you a private message shortly, that you can reply back to us on.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings