cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Re: Digital Voice - Cannot receive all incoming calls (Very frustrating)

Go to solution

I recently upgraded to BT Fibre1 , and was forced to have digital voice if I wanted a landline.  Everything was set up correctly, but now I cannot receive calls, but can still make them. Strange thing is, I can make a call to my landline from MY mobile phone and it works ok. It even recorded a message I sent.  But my friends and family cannot even get a ring tone. One friend called me and did get through, but as soon as I spoke, the connection cut off.  They tried 3 times but each time I answered the phone it cut off. So bt sent an engineer to check the set up and he reckoned I needed a digital voice phone, which I was duly sent. That is also working only for outgoing calls , but will not receive calls, so nothing has changed. So....again I called 150 and the chap assured me it would be fixed within 2 hours. It was not. Got an e=mail from bt saying the issue would be fixed within 5 days. Then another e-mail after 24 hours saying the issue had NOW BEEN FIXED. It had NOT. So now once again I am onto 150 who say I have to wait now until Monday to report the issue again as tech do not work over the weekend. Needless to say I am very frustrated and annoyed that this issue is so common and apparently, it seems, is not easily fixed, going by all the other complaints about the same issue. Everything used to be SO simple , but now all this new and fangled technology is supposed to be `progress`. Someones having a laugh I reckon.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Go to solution

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Ladybird9,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry if you can't receive calls after your line was switched to Digital Voice. It sounds like the number hasn't been fully ported across. If you send me your details, I'll be able to get this investigated.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@Ladybird9 

It sounds like you are having the same problem as me (and several others on this forum), in that your number hasn't been properly ported across from the old PSTN system to the new Digital Voice platform.  I had exactly the same as you... able to make outgoing calls fine but people trying to call me could not connect (except, in my case, if calling from an EE mobile).  I expect there are also BT customers out there happily making outgoing calls and unaware the incoming calls are not connecting.  This could result in an event bigger problem because two BT "guides have told me that if this problem is left unfixed for more than 30 days the customer will loose their phone number and be allocated a new one, and it then becomes impossible to get the original phone number back.

The good news is that mine was eventually fixed.  The bad news is that, just like you, I had to make multiple calls to 150, schedule a fruitless engineers visit, spend 6-8 hours on the phone to BT doing "troubleshooting" that achieved nothing, have faults raised and then "resolved" when nothing had actually been resolved and it took 2 weeks from the day my number was transferred to DV for the problem to be fixed.

It seems that the "Guides" who answer 150 calls are (for the most part) unaware of this "porting" issue which can arise when people are migrated to DV or how to recognise it.  Also, many of those who are aware don't know who to turn in order to resolve it and/or aren't persistent enough in pressing the relevant back office team to fix it, leading to a lot of timewasting for the customer and for BT staff.  I was eventually fortunate enough to have one of my 150 calls answered by a very experienced and tenacious "guide" who eventually managed to get things fixed.  Hopefully, one of the moderators on this community will take up your case and it will be fixed for you soon.

By the end of 2025 BT is due to have moved all it's customers over to DV, which will mean a huge number of customers being migrated during that time.  When issues like this arise, I hope BT gets much better at dealing with them (or avoiding them all together) otherwise it could lead to major problems with customer satisfaction, overloading BT customer service with fault reports and dreadful damage to BT's reputation (not to mention potential breach of BT's licence).

Good luck and I hope you mange to get it sorted out very soon.

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

PS - I'd recommend that you respond to the private message from PaddyB asap with all the info he's requested, so hopefully he can get it fixed for you at the earliest opportunity.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

The exact some thing happened to me, But they refused to except it, It was in June 2022 and they basically side they checked the line and nothing was wrong. Then I asked them to send a engineer and they refused, They said they would not send one because their system said nothing was wrong, Because of this my elderly father could not phone the landline. They also refused to allow me to cancel the contract without charging me, So I was stuck in this contract for 2 years. Thankfully the contract will end in jun 2024 and I can finally leave. This is the worst company,, 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@zakiraahmad 

If it's the same problem I had, an engineer visit to the home would not have helped at all.  The problem had to be resolved remotely.  Did you try making a formal complaint to BT and, if that was not resolved in the required timescales, escalating your complaint to the Communications Ombudsman?  If so, you should at the very least have been able to exit from your contract early.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi 

I did complain to the ombudsman and got some money back. But they didn't allow for leaving contract. The problem was not resolved and I didn't want to go though the whole process again because it took up so much time. My dad was able to contact me on my mobile number at least which was my main issue. He has been really upset about not being able to call the landline. But now I can leave the contact soon so hopefully the new company will transfer the number correctly and the problem will be resolved. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@zakiraahmad 

Thank you for the update.  Well done for pursuing via the Ombudsman.  You are right that these processes can be really time consuming.  I wish you lots of luck with your move to another supplier and hope all goes smoothly.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@zakiraahmad 

I doubt if your call routing issue will be resolved by moving provider, as routing will still be over the IP network. The issue arises because all the originating call routings, have to be migrated off the PSTN network and onto the IP network. The complexity of this, should not be under estimated.

There will be a lot of legacy routings which would have been set up many years ago, and the records of these may have been lost and manual tracing of routings is very labour intensive.

Its usually easier for providers to issue a new phone number, than try to import an existing number.

0 Ratings