cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Swap back

Go to solution

Hi

I recently upgraded to the latest Halo and as part of this package I opted for Digital Voice without fully understanding what it meant. I don’t like the idea of the landline being dependent on the hub/broadband. Can I switch back?

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Swap back

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

@marco63 wrote:

Hi

I recently upgraded to the latest Halo and as part of this package I opted for Digital Voice without fully understanding what it meant. I don’t like the idea of the landline being dependent on the hub/broadband. Can I switch back?

Cheers

Mark

Afraid not. Everybody will be transferred to Digital Voice by 2025 in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

You can ask but I doubt it will happen. Every landline phone user in the UK will be switched over eventually because the copper system is being closed down by 2025.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Has the Digital voice been implemented yet? if not then it probably won't be for the foreseeable future as the rollout has been suspended pending a method to maintain telephony in the event of a power cut

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

They won’t revert it. They say it’s not possible, which is nonsense even if they put it back then do it again in 2025 when they have fully considered and allowed for the downsides

Here’s my issue:

It endangers life. If there is a power/broadband outage and no mobile phone available, for whatever reason, you could be put at serious risk. The old landline has it’s own power supply

They should provide battery backup as included, not charging £85 as if it were a nice extra. They are out of stock until the end of the year anyway so I am informed

This is a serious health and safety breach, which makes it a legal issue too. 

I won’t be leaving it at that, believe me

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

@marco63 

do you actually have a mobile phone in your home?  in case of emergency your mobile will connect to any network not necessarily your actual network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

@marco63 wrote:

They won’t revert it. They say it’s not possible, which is nonsense even if they put it back then do it again in 2025 when they have fully considered and allowed for the downsides

Here’s my issue:

It endangers life. If there is a power/broadband outage and no mobile phone available, for whatever reason, you could be put at serious risk. The old landline has it’s own power supply

They should provide battery backup as included, not charging £85 as if it were a nice extra. They are out of stock until the end of the year anyway so I am informed

This is a serious health and safety breach, which makes it a legal issue too. 

I won’t be leaving it at that, believe me

So how does your old landline work when somebody knocks a pole over/cuts through the cable/goes faulty for other reasons etc etc. Is that also a threat to life and limb?

Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

@marco63 wrote:

They won’t revert it. They say it’s not possible, which is nonsense can you explain for those of us who don't know why it's nonsense, why you say it is possible. even if they put it back then do it again in 2025 when they have fully considered and allowed for the downsides

Here’s my issue:

It endangers life. If there is a power/broadband outage and no mobile phone available, for whatever reason, you could be put at serious risk. The old landline has it’s own power supply What would happen if the pole or cable was brought down in say storm or for whatever reason, would it still work or if the telephone cabinet was destroyed by a vehicle crashing into it, would that endanger life?

They should provide battery backup as included, not charging £85 as if it were a nice extra. They are out of stock until the end of the year anyway so I am informed If you want a BBU you do not need to buy the BT one. Any BBU from other suppliers will work but keep in mind they generally only have enough power for an hour or so and out of interest do all your other electrical appliance manufacturers supply you a BBU per chance your power supply goes off?

This is a serious health and safety breach, which makes it a legal issue too. Unless you can point me to the law that covers this making it illegal to install a Digital Phone system without a BBU I would say you are talking rubbish. 

I won’t be leaving it at that, believe me  Out of interest what are you going to do?

Message 10 of 24

Go to solution
I don’t appreciate the smug reply. I’ve recently had a heart attack and was very lucky. There is still copper to my house btw
0 Ratings